What was the first Mustang Fastback K code?

• I know the owner of 5R09K125001. First one out of the San Jose plant. Supposed

to be the first car, let alone 'K', GT and fastback, out of the plant

Greg Z

• Official Post

I know the owner of 5R09K125001. First one out of the San Jose plant. Supposed

to be the first car, let alone 'K', GT and fastback, out of the plant

Great information, however, it is way too early to be a GT.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Of course there are no records of which cars were built when or in what order. And based on other years we have records for the lowest VINs were not usually the first ones down the line. Suggest that for 65-66 the only bragging can be done with titles/statements like having the lowest VIN rather than the first off the line.

• Is it not true that the Rouge River plant produced the fastback before San Jose and those were sent to the Worlds Fair in NY as sales show cars? Like the ones on the Ford Rotunda? I have a very early VIN from the plant, earlier than any I have seen or read about. It’s a K code Fastback. Trying to see if it was a Worlds Fair car.

• I am the furthest thing from an expert you can get so take this as such. I wasn’t aware of a fastback at the fair. I thought the fastback didn’t come out till August of 64, like a true 65 model, not the 64 1/2 as the early versions are called. GT mustangs were introduced in April 65. I don’t know exactly when production began for either. Obviously cars were built prior to being for sale. This is a picture from Ford archive. Is it showing a fastback at the 64 world fair? If you make it bigger, it looks like a GT emblem on the side and the GT stripe. If it is a GT, it’s a year early. How long was the fair? Did they rotate cars in and out?

In the article with this picture it mentions Mustang birthday so I think they recreated the moment and used this car?

Some other info. https://www.motortrend.com/features/mump-…ction-mustangs/

The dealer mentioned in this article is still in business and not far from where I live. They have a car show every summer.

• The fair lasted a year. There are several Fastback photos in the rotunda. I have seen this one, a red one with white interior, and a black one.

• Is it not true that the Rouge River plant produced the fastback before San Jose and those were sent to the Worlds Fair in NY as sales show cars? Like the ones on the Ford Rotunda? I have a very early VIN from the plant, earlier than any I have seen or read about. It’s a K code Fastback. Trying to see if it was a Worlds Fair car.

There were fastbacks produced at the pilot plant that were used for advertising and other purposes. Believe I've got some references to a couple of them from June of 64 for early road tests and/or PR days . It may be some of those cars that were used for display early in the Fairs display period. There is also a red fastback that you can find pictures of that lacks parts on the car (rear interior items easiest to see in the pictures I've viewed) that were seen and photographed at Shelby America. This suggest this was a very early Fastback where they had not figured out some of the fine details but needed certain people to view and examine the new body type

Years ago we had a very early SJ fastback that was originally equipped with cloth interior. Only one I've ever seen Unfortunately never kept track of VIN's or took pictures but did keep the seat material as a show and tell item for judging seminars decades ago

Yes the fair lasted a year so you will often find pictures taken through out that period as the displays changed and cars replaced to keep things fresh and new products in front of the public in hopes they would rush into the dealerships with orders

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!