• Ok...exhaustive research has sent me to this website.

I understand that there is some debate about whether the hole in the radiator support to allow passage of the fog light wiring are factory "punched" or "drilled." I understand that this website is the source of a well-respected opinion that the holes were "drilled" and not "punched" ... and that a FMC employee has verified that.

Can someone please point me in the direction of that thread or other source of information.

Thank you in advance!

• That’s the first I’ve ever herd of this…from my understanding if the fog lamp holes do not have a Lip on the backside the lamps were added or the core support has been replaced. You would have a tough time verifying true GT Status without the proper holes

• On the concours site I read somewhere that for a long time everyone thought they were punched (so with the slight lip) but apparently they have also been drilled from unrestored GT cars and that opinion had changed over the years. On a K-Code from my understanding the only true way to identify if you have a real factory GT is to run a plumbers camera down the inside of rocker panels from the inside of the car and verify that there are no holes filled where the rocker panel moldings would have been if it wasn't a GT. For a real factory GT K-Code it would be perfectly smooth metal, no sign of rocker panel molding holes. I had to do this with my car to confirm it was an actual factory GT K-Code. All of this is of course if you have your original date stamped rocker panels ;)

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Edited once, last by Morsel (January 18, 2022 at 2:31 AM).

• It is a true GT...because it has factory dual exhaust. Factories did not produce 65 non-GT coupes with dual exhaust. One of the holes has a slight lip, but the other doesn't. I was searching for the thread containing comments by a FMC employee that the holes were often drilled and not punched.

• Just to be clear, your car is a GT but NOT a K code?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Non GT K cars still came with factory dual exhaust so that is not a good indicator…and by the way I hear y’all but I don’t think the rocker panel is a good option in all cases because when I was young and dumb I thought they were “missing” from my car and added them. Found out a few years later that was a mistake when someone said “that’s not a true GT it’s got rocker moldings” myself I don’t really care if no one believes me because the car will never be for sale…i made some other bad mistakes too like throwing out my Original door data plate because the mustang shop that ordered it for me in the 90’s said it was an exact Duplicate. Personally my car was 20 years old when I got it. It still had the Original interior and original paint still on it. I know what it is and that’s all that matters

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!