• Evan

You are aware that not all NJ K engines where vin stamped. nobody really knows why but there have been to many 65 66 K cars from that plant that didnt seem to get a vin stamp on the block.

Fred will back me up on that.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD

MELBOURNE.

AUSTRALIA

• +1 although I actually do have a 66 VIN stamped block from Metucheon. It is the only one that I have ever seen.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Hi Phill, I just never believed these HiPo engines didn't receive their vin stamp. Of course anything is possible. But it is usually an owner of non-vin stamped HiPo block who claims the block is original. Therefore the proof is upon them to back that claim up. Of course they never can. I will say however that of the 300+ documented vins I have in my spreadsheet, a significant majority of the vins are from Dearborn and San Jose.

Evan

6T09K134XXX

Edited once, last by Evantugby (August 22, 2020 at 5:35 PM).

• I see that apparently many Metuchen built HIPO kars didn’t receive vin stamps on their engines. Is that true as well for their transmissions? I am looking for the transmission for a 1967 K Coupe where the vin ends in 80077.

• I see that apparently many Metuchen built HIPO kars didn’t receive vin stamps on their engines. Is that true as well for their transmissions? I am looking for the transmission for a 1967 K Coupe where the vin ends in 80077.

This should be a post in its own new thread.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Fred,

Should I re post? Let me know. Thanks.

Yes, you should start your own thread where you will have your own transmission and VIN in the title. You can leave your first post in this thread up as it is pertinent to this thread.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I used to own this car with my Dad. My uncle bought this car in the late 70's or early 80's and the HiPo was long gone by then. We always assumed that it was scattered in pieces on some mid-west dragstrip or was scavenged when the car was wrecked {welds on A/B/C pillar where the roof was replaced and crumple damage on the drivers side front inner fender/cowling}.

The engine in the car when my Dad sold it in early 2005 was pieced together from parts he accumulated to get enough date-code correct parts to build as close to original as possible. My Dad had just started at Ford in engine design in '63 and drew/released some of the drawing for the HiPo engine. He became obsessed with building an accurate HiPo for the car after retiring from Ford in 1996 and in ~1999 installed the best one of 3 HiPo's that he built.

• A few more things that came to mind. The add I found on topclassiccarsforsale.com has several inaccuracies.

The transmission wasn't original as far as I know. My uncle blew what we thought was the original in a bad downshift at Elkhart Lake in the early 80's. The HiPo was entirely made up of parts from other Ford/Shelby cars - except maybe the flywheel. the rear axle may have been original but the diff unit wasn't - it was 4:11 when I bought it and I changed it to 3.00 in 1986.

The car had been hit hard in the front drivers side and likely rolled at some point. I'd guess that either the car was significantly rebuilt or the VIN was moved from my car to another body that was in better shape. My plan had always been to find a rust free body and move the powertrain and VIN but life got in the way before I had the $$$ and time to do it.

It had traction bars welded on at one point and when I took the leaf springs apart the bolts were zig zagged from the leaves sliding. In other words, the car had been run pretty hard at some point.

Matt

I used to own this car with my Dad. My uncle bought this car in the late 70's or early 80's and the HiPo was long gone by then. We always assumed that it was scattered in pieces on some mid-west dragstrip or was scavenged when the car was wrecked {welds on A/B/C pillar where the roof was replaced and crumple damage on the drivers side front inner fender/cowling}.

The engine in the car when my Dad sold it in early 2005 was pieced together from parts he accumulated to get enough date-code correct parts to build as close to original as possible. My Dad had just started at Ford in engine design in '63 and drew/released some of the drawing for the HiPo engine. He became obsessed with building an accurate HiPo for the car after retiring from Ford in 1996 and in ~1999 installed the best one of 3 HiPo's that he built.

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for the post and it’s been great talking with you and receiving the original photos you sent me from when your family owned it in the 1980s. I can say for sure the vin stamps on the apron are original to the body panels and so were the spot welds. When I had the kar restored I made sure the three vins were not affected during the restoration too.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!