Date code question

• New member with my first Mustang with a build date of 3/2/1967. Curious about date codes for the K code engine components. Specifically the date codes on the distributor, cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds.

How many months prior to my build date would be correct for these items?

If anyone has these items available for purchase I am interested.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

Jeff Horsman
    1967 K code Fastback four speed
    1966 Buick Gran Sport four speed
    1986 Buick T-type
    1978 Jeep Wagoneer

• New member with my first Mustang with a build date of 3/2/1967. Curious about date codes for the K code engine components. Specifically the date codes on the distributor, cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds.

How many months prior to my build date would be correct for these items?

If anyone has these items available for purchase I am interested.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

I have seen a lot of variation in vehicle scheduled production dates and components. I have seen Kars with engine production dates almost six months prior to the Kar. These are original VIN stamped correct engines and more than one. Intake manifolds are not Hipo specific so these are generally pretty close to vehicle dates as they fit all 4V equipped cars. Exhaust manifolds are going to be really tough as they also fit 67 Shelbys and there are very few 67 dated exhaust manifolds out there. The 67 exhaust manifolds are different from earlier ones and unless you have a California thermactor emission Kar, the earlier ones will work but the casting numbers will be wrong. There are a couple of different distributor numbers for 1967 and being as I do not have Bob Mannels book where I am currently, I cannot look it up. There are also two different head casting for 1967 and I will need to check Bobs book on that as well.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I have seen a lot of variation in vehicle scheduled production dates and components. I have seen Kars with engine production dates almost six months prior to the Kar. These are original VIN stamped correct engines and more than one. Intake manifolds are not Hipo specific so these are generally pretty close to vehicle dates as they fit all 4V equipped cars. Exhaust manifolds are going to be really tough as they also fit 67 Shelbys and there are very few 67 dated exhaust manifolds out there. The 67 exhaust manifolds are different from earlier ones and unless you have a California thermactor emission Kar, the earlier ones will work but the casting numbers will be wrong. There are a couple of different distributor numbers for 1967 and being as I do not have Bob Mannels book where I am currently, I cannot look it up. There are also two different head casting for 1967 and I will need to check Bobs book on that as well.

-Fred-

Being as this is your first foray into the Hipo 289 world, it is highly recommended that you purchase one of Bob Mannels book on small block Fords. It is very large and he spent 17 years putting it together and it is loaded with detailed pictures sand charts. I can look up his phone number in my book when I return home.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• It sounds like you already have a short block although I may have a December 1966 Hipo short block if you need one.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Thanks for the information Fred. I think my block is correct for the car, the heads, manifolds and distributor are missing. I guess the date codes are not that big of a deal since I do not plan on selling the car, but would like to make it as correct as possible.

Jeff Horsman
    1986 Buick T-type
    1978 Jeep Wagoneer

• Thanks for the information Fred. I think my block is correct for the car, the heads, manifolds and distributor are missing. I guess the date codes are not that big of a deal since I do not plan on selling the car, but would like to make it as correct as possible.

Send me the date codes in question and I’ll decode them for you.

• Send me the date codes in question and I’ll decode them for you.

Thanks Marv, I understand the date codes. I was curious how far prior to my build date would certain engine components be correctly dated.

Jeff Horsman
    1986 Buick T-type
    1978 Jeep Wagoneer

• I was thinking the same, thank you for your answer.

Jeff Horsman
    1986 Buick T-type
    1978 Jeep Wagoneer

• You might try to locate someone who has a close build date to you car if they have a '67 Hipo car and if they have the original engine components, you might get some date codes from them. If you have a Dearborn built car, they used a lot of older dated parts on those Mustangs with the other 2 plants getting more updated castings as they were newer production plants and more of their parts came directly from the supplier source.

• You might try to locate someone who has a close build date to you car if they have a '67 Hipo car and if they have the original engine components, you might get some date codes from them. If you have a Dearborn built car, they used a lot of older dated parts on those Mustangs with the other 2 plants getting more updated castings as they were newer production plants and more of their parts came directly from the supplier source.

The engines, as far as I know, were assembled at Cleveland and not at the vehicle assembly plants. Am I wrong on this?

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I do not know if you have resolved your head needs or not but I do have a matched pair of November 1966 heads.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I do not know if you have resolved your head needs or not but I do have a matched pair of November 1966 heads.

-Fred-

Fred,

Please send me a PM or email with info about these heads and pricing with shipping to 75093. Thanks Fred.

Regards,
    Jeff

Jeff Horsman
    1986 Buick T-type
    1978 Jeep Wagoneer

• Fred,

Please send me a PM or email with info about these heads and pricing with shipping to 75093. Thanks Fred.

Regards,
    Jeff

I was in error reading the casting numbers on these heads as they are November 1965 and NOT November 1966.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!