NOS early 65 air cleaner

• Sold for <b>$535+</b> by lusiouslinda <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>NOS HiPo Air Cleaner Lid and Base - This 289 HiPo air cleaner lid and base is a very rare part that is not being reproduced today that I know of (NOS Ford always beats Reproduction). You can tell immediately by the weight of the chrome lid itself. This is the real deal, NOS HiPo Air Cleaner Lid and Base. I believe it was used on the 1963-1964 Shelby Cobras as well as the 1964 1/2 and early 1965 HiPo K code Mustangs and possibly Fairlane. Now I also believe that some bases came with the base tube and some did not. I purchased this many years ago as I was going to restore my Mustang, some things must go in order to care for my son. IT is NOT a REPRODUCTION, IT IS NOT USED, THIS is NOS. Also, some were with date code some were not, I really do not see a date code unless I am just missing it somewhere.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4571853645]ebay link [/url]

[Blocked Image: http://www.hipomustang.com/cgi-bin/parts/aircleaner090305-1.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://www.hipomustang.com/cgi-bin/parts/aircleaner090305-2.jpg]

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Could it be a leftover NOS replacement painted with a generic color?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Very common for service replacement parts to sometimes be a little different than factory line parts.

• Sure looks over reworked to me. The lid appears replated and the base painted.

Lid Finish

The early 1963-64 Fairlane/Cobra/Accessory chrome "tuned" air cleaner lids usually had pretty rough surfaces and often had "ludder lines" stretch marks from forming the metal someplace on the part. All the original plating lids I have seen also had four very noticeable "knock off pin" marks in the center “hat” created by the forming die ejection pins (spring loaded or cammed pins to push the formed lid off the press die). The original supplier did nothing to hide these pin marks. The plating system used on the lids was also not very good. The unmolested ones I have examined were usually just nickel plating on the inside and chromium on the top side. The original finish usually rusted very quickly in the low places where dirt and water could collect. I have only seen a very few in use where original plating was not rusty to some extent.

Base Finish

The original 1963-64 bases I have seen only had over spray on the inside, with some nearly all bare steel with just scattered paint speckles. Most of the unmolested bases I find for sale were painted gold on the bottom side but Cobras and retail purchased accessories all seem to have been black.

I had seen or had unmolested ones from Cobras with rusty (typical) lids and a base either black outside with black overspray inside or black over gold outside with gold and black over spray inside. It is interesting that same gold ones apparently got repainted black for Cobra use.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!