early hipo rods

• I posted a wanted and a tech question in the parts exchange section but since the site has been so spotty lately perhaps the question was missed.

Did the early rods have an oil hole which the boss rods did not?

Thanks.

• Official Post

Some of the early rods have the oil passage but not all of them. The Boss 302 rods never have the oil passage.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I think Bob mannel's book discusses this. I don't have the book handy but IIRC HiPo rods w/o the oiling hole started showing up around Feb-March 1966.

Dave
    6S1757

• Re Bob Mannel's book, pg 6-7, "- about March 1966 -" and "- mixed types -" but I think that was specific to standard rods.

On pg I-3 of the Appendix and pg 3-10 (3A9) the identification gets "muddled". Rod marking is the same for HP as standard, C3AE (no dash letter is shown) a full size Ford p/n, but the inventory number is C3OZ-6200-C, a Fairlane p/n. A dash letter of "-D" is referenced in the HP book as an ID of the rod (C3AE-D). Remember, using the Ford p/n system, the marking on the box does not necessarily mean the part inside is correct.

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!