HP marking on block

• My dad and I are in the process of refreshing my 65 K GT Koupe. We were breaking the engine down, to get an idea of what we had, and were surprised to see that the motor had never undergone a major overhaul. Crank, pistons, main caps were all original and marked "Std. bore". When we removed the rear cover plate on the engine block we found the engine was marked with an "HP". Is this standard for all K code blocks? Is there a way to protect this marking if I wanted to hot tank the block?

[Blocked Image: http://i33.tinypic.com/344xkax.jpg]

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 08/31/2010 00:27:28

• Mine looked very similiar, the very best thing to do is photograph the "HP" from many different angles and use a grease marker to duplicate when you put the engine back together-there is almost always a very faint residue left for you to follow.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Mine looked very similiar, the very best thing to do is photograph the "HP" from many different angles and use a grease marker to duplicate when you put the engine back together-there is almost always a very faint residue left for you to follow.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

When you say use a grease marker, do you mean a Markal paintstick?.

I have a set of these but they dont seem to work that well. I wonder is there a trick to using them?

Thanks

• From all the Hipo's I had and seen the blocks were painted with HP.Don't know what kind of paint but almost all the Mustangs had orange dab along with the painted HP.Early blocks I've had and seen also had sequel numbers on them.

• Cheers guys

I had a go at replicating the marks I found on the axle when I detailed it. The Markal stick was a bit crumbly, but I guess came out OK, the surface was rough so they might go better on a smooth surface.

• Thank you all for the advice. Looks like going the Markal route is the way to go. I was worried about someone coming along afterward and disputing the authenticity.

• one last question... Will re-marking the block have any detrimental effect on the overall value of the engine and car?

Edited by - harmonj on 08/30/2010 18:26:50

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!