Wrong carburetor?

• Pretty darn sure I have the wrong carburetor on my '67K. I am in the early stages of restoring my "kar" and pulled the motor a few weeks ago. Obviously, the carburetor came off first. Over the years, I've visually compared the carburetor to all available pictures in Tony Gregory's books, and it has (up until today) appeared correct.

However, after pulling the carburetor, I was able to see the casting/part # and date: C5SF-B and date 9-20-64, which from what I can glean from the internet is not correct for my "K", but instead for an early 390 motor.

This carburetor has a 1.12 stamp on it, and as per the book photos, lacks the hot idle compensator. Bores also measure out correctly @ 1 9/16" All correct manual choke pieces are there, and the motor always seemed to run well with this carburetor.

Any information would be appreciated - thanks!

• ADDENDUM: From the Pony Carburetors website, it appears that I have an early Galaxie carburetor (the type they would use for a "clone") with perhaps all of the original linkage/choke pieces from the original carburetor?

• Official Post

There is a physical difference in the casting of the main body of the carburetor on a Hipo that is not there on a standard carburetor and cannot be faked. It is the manual choke lever stop. The Hipo carburetor also uses different venturi clusters and jets. I do have an NOS 67 Hipo carburetor if you need the real deal.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!