Oil Pan & Deck date codes

• 65 2plus2, thanks for the link. I thought I better start a new topic rather than continue hijacking your parts sale thread.....

On a couple of blocks that I've looked at I've noticed that the final letter code for the inspector is usually different between the oil pan stamping and the deck stamping, but the date code is the same. Such as :

5F2C on oil pan, 5F2S on deck

5E18C on oil pan, 5E18S on deck

Now, 65 2plus2 NOS block has a 6M28C on the oil pan. This fact, and from previous threads, I think general consensus is that the oil pan stamping is the finish machining date? Just say if you think that's wrong.

So, what about the deck stamping? On the examples I've seen, they have a different final letter to the oil pan, but the date code's the same. But it's hard to believe the motor could be finish machined and then fully assembled on the very same day? Maybe not?

Any other examples of oil pan and deck stampings on the same block? Is the date code always the same between the two?

• Terry, this thread is confusing as it refers to a stamping on the oil pan. What the author means is that the date code is stamped on the oil pan rail of the block on the right hand side at the rear. It will be covered by the oil pan when it is installed.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks for starting a new thread on this topic as the auction ends this Sunday and this topic may be aroung longer than that.

If anyone wants to copy my photos for reference, please either copy them from my Ebay listing (oldcarnutty) or go to the link below:

http://s449.photobucket.com/albums/qq214/o…%20Main%20Caps/

These are my photos. I know some of you are working on books for publication. So you have my permission to use them if you want to. But, please send me a copy of your book when it is published! Thanks, Darrell

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!