Head Bolt Designs

• Please excuse me if this information is in the archives somewhere.

I did a couple of searches and didn’t notice anything on this subject.

The picture below shows on the left one of the short head bolts that was in an August 1964 HP289 engine that I am working on currently and two “NOS” bolts that were purchased as the same part number. The bolt in the middle is a different design, lacks any type of oxide protective finish, and came with thread sealant. The bolt on the right is finished in black oxide and looks just like the old one on the left.

[Blocked Image: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/rr64/IMG_1442.jpg]

Question: Does anybody know the story on these two different design?

Thanks.

Dan

• What you are faced with is a simple matter of different suppliers for the same part. As long as it is the same form, fit and function (basic Military logistics creteria) it can be used. I don't know how many Fords with a 221, 260, 289 and 302 were produced but at 10 bolts per engine, you need to be assured of a constant supply. Remember, low bid also applies in the automotive industry as well as aerospace.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have never seen the center bolt on a production 289.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thanks Bob. I have some new ones of both styles both Ford boxes. Either the seller switched parts in the case of the odd ones or that is what Ford sells as replacements now.

Dan

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!