!965 convertible k code car?

• There is a '65 mustang convertible for sale where i live and the vin number says it is a k code car... however, the car has power steering and is an automatic and i thought in 65 these were not options.. can you help shed any light? Thanks so much! - chris

• Thanks for the reply Rangoon! I thought about that as well... it does have what appears to be an original console.. is there a way to find out by looking underneath somewhere?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Also, is it possible to fake a VIN number somehow? The title does have the 5F08K as its first five digits... thanks guys!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Of course, anything is possible, and there are certainly forged and altered VIN's in the car hobby...The Mustang unibody inner fender VIN stamps are a good starting place to check for authenticity.

It's important to examine the car at <i>all three locations</i> for the correct numbers, and any signs of alteration. Make sure the character fonts match the original Ford style and spacing. Always be suspicious of replacement VIN plates on the driver's door. Even the presence of an original door plate doesn't guarantee it's original to the car because the door can be easily swapped by removing a few bolts.

• Chris,

You will find that there are many answers to your questions in the existing data. Just use the advanced search function and include archived items.

The VIN numbers on the unibody are stamped in the fender aprons. On the driver side there are two; one is readily visible and the other is under the fender. There is a third VIN on the passenger side that is in the same location as the hidden VIN on the driver sie. The images below will show you the location relative to the underside of the car. If the car is not covered with sealer or undercoating you might be able to locate them without cracking the fenders loose. If not, then you will have to loosen the fenders and gain access that way. Keep an eye out for any sheet metal work that appears to have been changed, particularly welded, around the VIN location. It is not unheard of to have the VIN removed from an original car that was wrecked and then welded on to a donor car.

The other two places where the VINs were stamped were the bottom of the transmission and the right front side of the engine block. The stamped numbers should be similar in appearance.

Good luck with your authentication and don't feel shy about posting; there is no such thing as a dumb question and authenticating the car is important. If it has been covered before and you can't find it in the archive just ask for help and someone will point you in the right direction.[Blocked Image: http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7629/vinsleftfrontfenderundeaz9.jpg]

Passenger side:

[Blocked Image: http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/4185/vinrightfenderundersidegx2.jpg]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!