July 1965 "K" PCV system??

• Is the PCV system on a late '65 (July) any different from an "A" code or "C" code engine, does the "K" use a different valve or hose or anything? I can't seem to find any reference to it in Tony's book.

If so, does anyone have a picture?

• PCV set up is the same as other 289s.

NOS or show correct valves with the hose nipple are hard to find and expensive - hose is the same as an A or C code.

Many people use the earlier '64 "threaded" type valve and either cut the hose and use the elbow - or just clamp it as is on the threads. This looks very close to stock.

Road draft equiped cars need a special HiPo only draft tube due to the HiPo exhaust manifolds.

• So, Is the valve itself natural metal color, blue plastic, or what? I'm talking about a LATE (July) 1965 "K" engine.

From what I have seen there is not really alot of the valve itself that shows once you put it into the grommet in the valve cover, and then slip the moulded hose on it.

• I'm not sure for a very late '65 car, but the '65 valve was natural steel with a 6 sided blot look exposed between the valve cover and hose.

The '64 style valve looks almost the same - it just has threads instead of a hose fitting.

This is what I'm planning to use on my April '65 K.

I have a picture of both I think that I can email to you.

As far as I know the blue plastic ones are the later NOS reeplacements and not 100% show correct.

Edited by - RalphJr on 07/30/2008 11:01:00

• OE valves will be metal with a cad or zinc (not sure which) plating. Your car probably came with the hex base, hose connection valve like Ralph mentioned. As he also said they are very tough to find and expensive. You may get lucky and find a used one, the nice thing about this style valve is they can be disassembled, cleaned, and reused. The valve on the left in the pic below is NOS, the one one the right is a used one that's been restored. Both are stamped with a C5AE engineering number.

Ralph's other tip is a good one. The C4 stamped valve looks identical except for the treaded connection which would never be seen once the hose is on. These are easy to find NOS and cheap.

[Blocked Image: http://www.1965gt350mustang.com/temp/c5aevalves.jpg]

Dave
    6S1757

• I paid $25 I think for the threaded version NOS.

If you can find one of the correct '65 valves still in a salvage yard I'd be surprised if they would even charge you - but maybe $2-$5 MAX. But I think it would be rare part to find one now 40 odd years later.

I've never seen a used one for sale anywhere - eBay or swap meets.

• I bought the one on the right in the pic above on ebay several years ago, it was part of a larger parts deal and got lucky. Took it apart and had the housing replated with a bunch of other stuff.

Dave
    6S1757

• I found my PCV valve like the one to the right

in Dave's picture in my old toolbox that I brought with

me from Sweden when I moved to the US in 1987.

Talk about luck. It's used on my 65 Shelby now.

/Bo

• I just won/baught the threaded version NOS from a seller on Ebay for $6.00 plus $5.00 shipping and he has one more if anyone needs it, just do a search for "1965 Mustang NOS"

• One last question: does the PCV hose use wire type clamps on both ends or just a slip together fit?? I'm afraid that I really haven't paid much attention to PCV systems on cars I've seen at shows.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!