67 hipo C-4 servo "A" or "C" ???

• According to the 1997 Shelby World Registry page 1299, the C-4 trans has the "A" intermediate servo piston and cover. In the HiPo Registry 4th edition page 64, the 1967 C-4 specs do not include the "C" servo. What is the correct C-4 trans for a 67 K-code auto- equipped car?

I have one of the last 12 67 GT-350's built. It has a July Ford build date. It has the "A" servo and cover, but I am not the original owner and the transmission may not be original. Does anyone out there have a late 67 K-code automatic car that can verify which servo is correct?

Thank you

• According to my Ford Master Parts Catalog revised October 1967, the 1965 Fairlane with 289 HiPo and 1966 Mustang with 289 HiPo got the "C" servo cover. The 1967 Mustang K-code is not mentioned as getting the "C" servo. I would check your tag number. If it is PEE-K, I would stick with what you have if it looks like the transmission has never been rebuilt.

• Bob, the prior owner said the tag was lost when the transmission was rebuilt. I cannot verify the trans as being original. Hopefully someone has a 67 HiPo with the original C-4.

Edited by - rugcookie on 04/20/2008 19:39:28

• Believe the correct one (from looking at other K code automatic 67's) would be the C code as in 66. Don't see why Ford would go to a standard trans with the softer shifting. In 68 this was changed to what was the heavy duty C4 application for that year using the "H" servo. Believe you will find that judges will be looking for that "C"

Would guess that like most, the trans was rebuilt and exchanged rather than using the original. Someone likely got your high performance one in an exchange or the trans shop saved the good parts (like what happened to many a hipo head) for another project

These servos, with the governor and spring, are not easy to find and there was a reproduction available at one time. One just recently sold on Ebay last week

Edited by - J_Speegle on 04/20/2008 22:47:16

• According to my Ford Master Parts Catalog (Final Issue, May, 1975), the "A" servo is used in the HiPo C4 in the 1967 model year (with a "C" used in 1964-66, and an "H" used in 1968).

I am fairly confident this is true, as in the early 70's I bought a bunch of "C" servo sets, and I specifically recall selling several to a friend who had a very original '67 GT350 that had an "A" servo in it.

The exterior tag is the first thing to go when somebody rebuilds a C4. If you are lucky, MAYBE they did not scrap the tag on the valve body. According to my research, a "Green Dot" HiPo valve body will have a "1U" tag on it (verified by several original HiPo C4's I've taken apart). A '67 HiPo C4 valve body will have a tag with "N3", "2N' or "3H" on it. If your valve body has one of these tags on it, then it is likely to be an original HiPo.

You could also remove the tailhousing and pull the governor. The correct governor assembly will have a white paint stripe identifying mark on it, and, when you take the secondary counterweight out of it, you will see that the counterweight is "drilled" on both ends - the large AND the small diameter. Most rebuilders would not change or modify this part, so it is probably a good spot to check if your tranny is an original HiPo C4 or not.

Jeff Speegle is correct that in many cases, rebuilders would just swap in an already rebuilt core instead of actually rebuilding your HiPo C4 - most of them didn't realize there was a difference. That's why I always stood over and WATCHED my HiPo C4's get rebuilt. He's probably also right about judges looking for a "C" servo on a '67 GT350, even though I'm pretty sure they SHOULD be looking for an "A" servo cover.

regards,

Jeff Burgy

SAAC GT350 Tech Exchange Editor

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!