• Most restored hipo engines I see have the tower (band) clamps. Mustang houses also list the wire clamps for early Mustangs. Are they both period correct? Did they vary by assembly plant? 6 cyl vs. 8 cyl? By the year? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Ed

• The main thing I wanted to know was weather or not there were variations to the tower style clamps used in Dearborn 1965 production. Looks like tower clamps were used exclusively in Dearborn and Jersey. San Jose also used wire clamps. I am now researching the correct finish of the original tower clamps. The ones we buy today are galvanized. I found in the bottom of my old Craftsman toolbox two original Ford radiator hose tower clamps that are either chrome or polished stainless steel. Don't know if they came from a Mustang. Back then my dad and I had various Fords from 1949 thru 1973. Maybe the chrome/stainless clamps were used on the Galaxie or Lincoln?

• Yes San Jose is where Ford ran the first production usage of the "new" pat pending wire style radiator hose clamps that were designed to save time and money for the company. I've got plenty of original tower clamps and the bands appear to be clearly galvanized

• The '65 GT350 that was at Springfield earlier this year for the MCA national is a low mile unrestored car (26k I think). Was flipping through pics of it and it has tower clamps. The VIN was half showing on the passenger side with a unit number in the 23XXXX range, which would put the car being made something in maybe June/July of '65. The car appeared to be relatively untouched and in excellent original condition.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Jeff, when did the SJ plant put the wire clamps into production? Thanks, Dave

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The belief is that their use started with 66 production at San Jose - Kevin Marti researched the issue years ago and came to the same conclusion at that time.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Jeff..Are your original clamps off Mustangs? NOS? <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Not NOS - just the typical nice stuff we pull off the cars out here

So better than NOS in some cases

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>The '65 GT350 that was at Springfield earlier this year for the MCA national is a low mile unrestored car (26k I think).<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Sounds like that might be one of Killian's cars - he has a bunch of unrestored very low mileage Shelbys and Mustangs

Edited by - J_Speegle on 11/07/2007 17:53:12

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Jeff, when did the SJ plant put the wire clamps into production? Thanks, Dave

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The belief is that their use started with 66 production at San Jose - Kevin Marti researched the issue years ago and came to the same conclusion at that time.

Just checked the three period mag test articles on 66 GT350s I have:

March 66 Popular Hot Rodding test car has tower clamps. No doubt this is an early car but it is not white so isn't a carry-over.

August 66 Motor Trend article comparing a stock and Paxton car. The carburated car has wire clamps while the Paxton car has generic band style clamps like you buy today so I'm guessing they were changed out?

September 66 Popular Hot Rodding test Paxton car has the generic band style clamps. I'm certain this is the same car from the Aug. 66 M/T article.

Dave
    6S1757

Never consider (just IMHO) period magazines as a reliable, sole source for details. Just me

I totally agree Jeff, not as a SOLE source. They are however, one valuable source IMHO.

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!