• Is there a specific brand of red oxide primer that you guys recommend to use? If so where can I get it. I am doing my 66 shelby and want to get the best possible primer. I would also like to know what the code is for the Saphire blue paint and where I can get it from. As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

• First let me state that I'm no expert...I've been told that PPG DP74LF epoxy primer is good. I plan on using it on the 67 once the floor is finished.

• Types and where you can get paint is just one of the issues as certain types of paints are not available or legal in different parts of the country. Need to talk to the paint you will be using and they often have a brand or two they are comfortable and experianced with.

For the blue here are some different companies codes

Ford - 1905-A

R-M - A1787

Ditzler/PPG - 13075

Dupont - 4735

Originally this was a T bird color called Bright Blue Metallic (code G)

As for the red oxide there really is nothing IMHO that is right - directly from a can. And the epoxy primer/sealer will look different (flat or slightly shinny) depending how it is shot. You are looking for something slightly browner and with a bit of. shine to it to match the original look. I would post a few pictures of original colors but with cameras and different monitors they would look differently over each of our monitors. To this point I now collect samples (cut them off) donor cars to catalog the finishes for just this purpose

Remember the preparation and finishing of the unibody is likely the most important step of the whole restoration. How it turns out determines you choices in the future. Everything else is bolt on after this.

So get the colors and finishes right, as well as the sealers, sound deadeners and overspray. And don't copy what you see in the magazines !!!!!!

Hope this helps.... BTW which 66 are you doing? I've got #1203 currently.

Edited by - J_Speegle on 10/05/2007 18:46:34

• Thank you for all the info. I am getting ready to do 1405. I don't want to cut any corners so I've been selling some of my extra hi po stuff to get money together for the restoration. No panels will need to be replaced so that is very good. I am pretty mutch the second owner. Please email me when you get a chance at colshlby65@aol.com

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!