Fuel Pump Idenification

• I have a CARbureTER fuel pump with fuel filter cannister. The number on the side of the pump reads 1573, the number on the flange reads 3551SA and 8-2 K. I think the 8-2 is the date. This pump has a X on both sides of the main body. Does any one know what Ford vehicles used this pump?

• That is an early Carter pump - probably built in 1962 from the date code "8 2". Carter used sequentially increasing numbers as they revised all their pumps - so the higher the number the newer it is. As a reference the HiPos used 3939 and 4201 - so your pump is a few years older. I have a similar pump I'll be using on my HiPo - 3911S - screw together X body pump. Sometimes there is also a number stamped into the steel arm - this will be engine specific for pumps that use the same housing but have different actuation dimensions.

Contact this guy outside Boston - he might be able to help you ID it further - and he has rebuild kits:

Antique Auto Parts Cellar

http://www.then-now.com

781) 335-8860

• My pump is dated "H4" - August '64.

I'm not an expert on the Carter codes and I've seen a few different date formats pictured or posted for them, so who knows for sure - but the screw together pumps are earlier and a 3500 number would indicate earlier than the HiPos 3939 and 4201. The date could be later if it was built as a "new" replacement pump before another number replaced it. I'd still bet on the 2K being the year and month - but then again could be 1968, 2nd week of "K" month (October?).

Edited by - RalphJr on 05/15/2007 12:14:28

• Don't know if this will provide any help or not.

My 67 Hipo motor is on the stand; it has an assembly date of 7D25Y.

The Carter fuel pump is a 4201S with a date code of 1M6A stamped into it. I can't say if it is original or not though. I can provide pics if anyone would like to see them.

Tom

• Thanks for the replys. I pulled the pump off of a car in a salvage yard 6 or 7 years ago. I think the car was a Ford Galaxie with a 352 engine and I noticed the X on the pump body. I wonder if this will fit a 390 or 428 engine. I'll keep checking.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!