67 K Code Thermactor

• Anyone have pictures of the back side of the eng for a post April 15th Calif delivered K code? Know it;s a long shot and I will figure everything out...... just thought if I could fast pace this project it would help

• Jeff, I have a friend that has a 66 A code Calif. GT with all of the emissions. I don't know if it's the same as 67 K code but he could post if it is the same.

• Ford TSB #67, Article 1070, dated 5/5/67, stated that beginning approximately April 5, 1967, the California Mustangs with 289 HiPos would have thermactors. Over a year ago I checked with Kevin Marti of Marti Auto Works (623-935-2558) about the number of K-codes that received the thermactors. The answer was 14. So, if you have one, it is definitely rare.

As to the system, it is just like other 1967 systems, except that the air bypass hose could not run from the bypass valve to the air cleaner, because the low profile air cleaner did not have provisions for it. According to Ford assembly manuals, Ford ran the hose all the way forward to the thermactor air filter where a special lip with a hose fitting was used. The service part number Ford gave was C6AZ-9A492-C, which included a C5AZ-9C639-A cap, which was a rubber cap for a .625" I.D. hose. The cap was not needed in this case.

Details of the thermactor system can be found in the "Mustang & Ford Small Block V8" book on pages 7-26 & 7-27, 6-32 through 6-42, and the "1967 Ford Products Engine Equipment Assembly Manual" by Jim Osborn page 119.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!