clutch rod firewall seal

• I was buying some firewall and apron seals and grommets, and found that the clutch pedal rod seal is from 12/14/64 onward. VAMustang catalog states that earlier cars did not use them. Did they have anything? Did they have this screwed-on material with a hole in it instead of the rod seal?

My car appears to have one but it is mounted to a flat piece of material that is screwed onto the firewall. I haven't examined it closely because I'm not working on that part of the car yet.

(Changed photo to improved one 3:38pm cst)

[Blocked Image: http://www.hometown.aol.com/misterend/images/clutchrod2.jpg]<font color=red></font id=red>

Edited by - b9folk on 04/20/2007 13:40:18

• My car (built in Oct. '64) had a 1/2" thick felt pad with a hole in it that the rod went through. It was attached from the inside of the firewall by a small sheetmetal bracket.

• Well, since Gerald's (65Hipo)car and mine were built on the same line just a few days apart, mine originally would have had the felt pad, too. It'll be interesting to take a closer look when I take this thing apart. I like the fact that whatever is on my car is probably way more splashproof than the original design.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!