Intake manifold

• Got a question for you folks. I found an aluminum 4-V intake manifold with the word colt 65 on it. Does anyone have an idea who made it and value?

• Quentin, I found this info on the internet, but I'm pretty sure others on the site will be able to tell you a lot more:

http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?…d40a766084f7dd4

I will probably need an old timer to help me out on this one. I picked up an old used intake, it's an Edelbrock Colt 45 (or maybe it was Colt 65). It appears to be a dual plane, and it's for small-block Ford…

http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/t…62/m/5500057214

Best: FoMoCo C90X

Good: Edelbrock Air Gap, Edelbrock Performer RPM, FoMoCo Shelby

lettered, FoMoCo Cobra lettered

Fair: Edelbrock F4B

Poor: Weiand Stealth, Colt 65

• Best: FoMoCo C90X

Good: Edelbrock Air Gap, Edelbrock Performer RPM, FoMoCo Shelby

lettered, FoMoCo Cobra lettered

Fair: Edelbrock F4B

Poor: Weiand Stealth, Colt 65

[/quote]

interesting. I'm running the FoMoCo C90Z-D intake on mine primarily because I want the car period correct (and because I think it's the perfect manifold). I would have thought the F4B, Shelby and Cobra would be rated the same as they are virtually identical except for runner grooves and/or the carb opening. You would also think the modern Edelbrocks would have 40+ years of technology to help them out.

I ran an Offy 360 for years, the car ran good but I think that intake contributed to fouled plugs due to not optimum distribution.

Edited by - 289kford on 01/07/2007 18:56:15

• ITSAHIPO, I am running it on my HIPO. After further review, I have a C90Z from the Muscle parts era, not a C90X. When I saw F4B and the Colt, etc. I just assumed they were all the 289-302 intakes being discussed. thanks for making me think a bit, I have corrected my post.

By the way, from the Holley site:

In 1949 Weiand introduced a series of "tri-power" and four 2-barrel manifolds and imediatly after WWII Weiand debuted a line of aluminum cylinder heads for flathead Ford engines. The famous "Drag Star" line of "log" manifolds for Hemi engines was introduced in 1952 and in 1957 Weiand developed complete blower drives for the GMC 6-71 supercharger. The first dual plane, 180º intake came from Weiand in 1965 as the "Colt" and in 1968 Weiand introduced the "Hi-Ram Manifold" and the patented D-port technology.

<font color=red></font id=red>

Edited by - 289kford on 01/07/2007 19:08:05

• Noel,

Could you explain in a little more detail why the F4B does not stack up to the Shelby versions? I too, thought they were identical internally. Also, in the January 2007 issue of Mustang Times page 52, Mr Jon Enyeart of Pony Carbs makes an argument for the stock cast iron intakes. He further states, "a mid- or high-rise manifold is only going to elp you if you are consistently running the engine between 5000-8000 rpm." I wanted to get others input.

thanks,

mwm

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Noel,

Could you explain in a little more detail why the F4B does not stack up to the Shelby versions? I too, thought they were identical internally. Also, in the January 2007 issue of Mustang Times page 52, Mr Jon Enyeart of Pony Carbs makes an argument for the stock cast iron intakes. He further states, "a mid- or high-rise manifold is only going to elp you if you are consistently running the engine between 5000-8000 rpm." I wanted to get others input.

thanks,

mwm

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

MWM --- I don't really have an opinion. As I said, I found the information on the internet and copied it here to our site. My only guesses would be that the guy who rated them found differences in production methods & results or that he had a preconceived notion when rating them (I think this is common.)

• The Edelbrock,Weiand and Shelby's stuff were all casted by the same companys back in the old days.Logo was changed along with firing order or part number on intake per spec.Great intakes for 2500-7500 range as dual plane makes good low end torque curve thru upper mid range.Colt 65 intake was made for Weiand and sold but they later changed the name on intake several times.

• (He further states, "a mid- or high-rise manifold is only going to elp you if you are consistently running the engine between 5000-8000 rpm.")

5-8K? in my opinion, that RPM would require a Hi-rise single plane. Edelbrock, Weiand and now Ford Racing state that this particular design is good 1500-6500. I have never run my K with a cast iron intake so i can't compare but I can say that switching from cast to aluminum made a difference on my old A code.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!