real build date lag curiosity

• Hey all,

Gerald (Raley65) and I have been discussing our October '64 San Jose cars. We all know that actual build dates could be a couple of weeks later than scheduled, but I think they really got behind in late '64. I had an idea that if a person had their original vin stamped fender aprons, they could look at the dates stamped on those same pieces, plus the driver's door sheetmetal.

I was wondering if folks with early '65 kars would be willing to share:

1. Scheduled build date on door tag

2. Date stampings on their aprons (possibly door, too)

3. Assembly plant

My scheduled build date was October 21, 1964 (date 21K on door plate), the stampings on the three vin-stamped fender apron pieces were 11 4, 11 8, and 11 7 (not including shift code). I looked at the hood hinges since I was in the area, and they were dated 10 20 and 11 13. Driver's door was 10 2 (under the top edge of the door panel).

• During the early days of my ownership of my kar I entertained myself by corroborating all of the information contained within the documentation that I have for my kar with the various casting dates, door tag, and the buck tag data that I have.

I came to the conclusion that the Scheduled Build date (early June 65) that is on the door tag might be accurate, but it also could have been wishful thinking on the part of the particular Ford plant scheduling department. In my case the Scheduled Build date was 16 days earlier than what I believe to be the date the kar actually went down the line. This later build date is confirmed by the date on the Buck tag, (Metuchen kar).

This later, Buck tag date is supported by the date on the original dealer invoice (7 days later). The trip between the Metuchen factory and the selling dealership (Baltimore) was less than one day's drive (direct).

This scenario is an example of a Metuchen kar, not Dearborn or San Jose.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!