• Anybody have an opinion on which direction K Code prices are headed?

There also do not seem to be too many good quality cars on the market lately as well. I see many more coupes than fastbacks for sale.

• If you're using ebay as a gauge of availability, might not be the best source. I'd say with a little work you could probably find a couple dozen for sale, maybe more.

As far as prices, hard to say. It seems as soon as someone says the market is softening, we hear about a record price paid for a car.

• Prices are OK on the best cars. Mediocre cars, cars without paperwork or original drivetrain, color change cars etc are weaker than the past. Cars ARE not jumping at the same rate as the spring/early summer of 2006.

• I have seen a couple of very nice K codes reportedly sold recently for very strong prices, possibly records or near-records. But there are several others being advertised now that aren't selling for the asking price. Most of them are at classic car dealers who ask very inflated prices so I definitely wouldn't use those prices as a guide.

Fastbacks do seem to be strong still and I agree there doesn't seem to be hardly any real good ones advertised for sale right now. There are several coupes and I have seen some very good buys on these, both nice ones and projects.

There is the red K convert just ended on eBay, second time around and the high bid hasn't broke $40,000. The current owner, a Florida dealer, bought it recently from an Oklahoma dealer at an undisclosed price. The links are referenced elsewhere on this site. The Oklahoma dealer was advertising it for $54K. The Florida dealer says his eBay reserve is about $58K. Apparently this is too high for the present market but from the pics and description, if it's accurate, looks to be a very nice car. Maybe someone will decide they have to have it.

It's hard to look at internet ads and guess what a car is worth without seeing the car and knowing enough specific info. Most of the K codes for sale have some weaknesses... not the K motor, not original metal, rough shape, etc. To me, these cars are not worth much as they will need substantial time and money to ever make them right and I'm not into that right now. On the other hand, if a really nice K code shows up for sale on the internet, you can usually tell it by the pics, description and a long chat with the owner. You can tell if he's being straight with you and telling the facts about the Kar and not making a bunch of stuff up or exaggerating the condition. It's still advisable to see and evaluate the Kar before spending big bucks.

Prices can be volatile and there is a huge difference based on the quality of the Kar. So each Kar has to be evaluated separately. I do have the impression that the market has softened in the last six months and may continue to do so but that might make a top quality Kar a bargain even at the seemingly high prices.

Edited by - LuvKcodes on 07/07/2007 11:04:36

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!