"8 vs 9" Rear end

• That is definitely the later 66 style.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> My question is how do I tell if it's a 8" or 9".<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>Look at the two bottom most nuts that hold the pumpkin to the housing. If it's a 9", those two nuts are not accessible with a ratchet/socket setup, but can only be loosened/removed with a box or open-end wrench or possibly a crows foot. </font id='Comic Sans MS'>

• This is an addition to Charlies post as he put his up just before I did this one and this is just another way to explain it. The fact that it has a bolt on snubber and the shape of the housing makes it a 9 inch for sure. The easy way to tell without any measuring, or even being able to see in the dark, is to check the lowest retaining nuts for the third member. If you cannot get a deep 9/16" socket on the nut, then it is a 9 inch. The reason that you would not be able to get the socket on is that the 9 inch pinion casting sticks down far enough to interfere with the socket. The 8 inch is a straight shot.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!