David Kee Hurst Shifter

• Anyone have any experience with the David Kee Hurst shifter setup that uses the original style shifter lever? My original shifter is getting to the point that a rebuild would probably be a good idea and I do really like the idea of having a Hurst and still maintaining the original look in the car.

Jack

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 09/12/2008 20:27:51

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Anyone have any experience with the David Kee Hurst shifter setup that uses the original style shifter lever? My original shifter is getting to the point that a rebuild would probably be a good idea and I do really like the idea of having a Hurst and still maintaining the original look in the car.

Jack

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I'm using it. I put my restored T-10 on a stand & am using a toploader (so I can thrash it) with Hurst shifter w/ D. Kee's adaptor. The shifter adaptor has the right angle built into it so the shifter lever has the same curve to it. So It looks to be in the same place as the Ford shifter. It seemed a little pricey when I bought it, but I'm enjoying it so much that now I realize it was good deal, all things considered.

• zray - I have not done a shifter install in a long time. How difficult was it to do the install? - Did you have the toploader out of the car when you did it? Mine is(obviously)in the car.

Thanks, Jack

• yes, it was out of the car. So I can't be much help with the difficulty question. Do you have a lift? I'm pretty sure it can be done with the transmission in the car, but laying on your back under a car on jack stands is never that easy.

Z. Ray

• Just an update. I did buy this shifter and completed the installation yesterday. Had the front of the car on ramps, back of the car on jack stands, good tunes on the stereo and a cold one close at hand - not too bad to install all in all. It is a very solid unit, shifts great and the adapter does put the handle pretty much in the original location. The price($377 without the handle) was comparable to buying the shifter and install kit from most of the parts sellers out there - they are all pretty much in the $360 -$400 range. All in all very pleased with it a great upgrade over the original shifter and nice to have the original look inside the car.

Jack

• One kind of humerous part of the install was the first test drive. Sitting on the jackstands the shifter moved into all positions cleanly, however as I found out it is possible to install the shift rods/linkage upside down and still have every thing line up and hook up fine. Due to a little bit of fatigue (or the additional beer at hand)I installed the rod for third and forth gear this way and on the initial test drive putting the shift lever into third actually put the trans into forth and into forth put the tranny into third - a little disconcerting the first time it happened. Flipping the rod over cured this problem.

Jack

• The handle and knob are just the stock handle and knob so any good mustang supplier can provide you this. This set up is giving you the hurst linkage and stuff with a stock handle.

I called to get everything but the handle as I have the early 64 style shifter.

• I believe that they get $150 for the handle and $17 for the knob. And it is correct that any of the handles from the Mustang parts suppliers should work fine. The early knob showing reverse as over to the left and up is correct as the Hurst setup does change the reverse engagement from the stock left and down to the left and up position.

Jack

• I have a vintage 1966 Hurst shifter on my car now with the Hurst handle(stick) and knob. I also have the complete original Ford shifter that came with my car. If I understand what is being said, It is the actual shifter head that is modified so I would have to buy a new head assembly from David and use my original shift handle and knob, correct?

Gary

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have a vintage 1966 Hurst shifter on my car now with the Hurst handle(stick) and knob. I also have the complete original Ford shifter that came with my car. If I understand what is being said, It is the actual shifter head that is modified so I would have to buy a new head assembly from David and use my original shift handle and knob, correct?

Gary

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

you would be using the Ford shifter handle & round knob. However the Ford knob has reverse over and down. THe hurst shifter puts reverase over & up. Kee does sell a knob that looks exactly like the Ford knob but with the correct (Hurst) pattern engraved on it.

Z. Ray

Edited by - zrayrichter on 09/07/2008 21:58:50

• It is the 2 piece welded adapter (which bolts to where the Hurst lever actually bolts to the shifter and the Ford lever bolts to the adapter) that allows the original stick to be used. The control box/shifter they supply is a standard Hurst unit. I do not know if Kee sells just the adapter if you already have a Hurst in the car, the only options they list on their website are the shifter/installation kit and lever adapter either with or without the repro stick and knob. Yesterday was the first time I had the chance to take the kar out for an extended drive and it is a really nice upgrade over the original unit, especially when the original unit had seen better days like mine had.

Jack

It is the 2 piece welded adapter (which bolts to where the Hurst lever actually bolts to the shifter and the Ford lever bolts to the adapter) that allows the original stick to be used. The control box/shifter they supply is a standard Hurst unit. I do not know if Kee sells just the adapter if you already have a Hurst in the car, the only options they list on their website are the shifter/installation kit and lever adapter either with or without the repro stick and knob. Yesterday was the first time I had the chance to take the kar out for an extended drive and it is a really nice upgrade over the original unit, especially when the original unit had seen better days like mine had.

I will give him a call tomorrow and ask. Will post back what I'm told.

Gary

Jack

Edited by - garymcgowan on 09/08/2008 17:37:42

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!