65 K code Buying information needed

• I have been looking for a big-block 68,69, or 70 Mustang for some time, and have not had much luck finding what I want. Recently I heard of a 65 K code fastback for sale, and thought well maybe that will fit the bill.

I have not done my homework on what to look for on the older K code cars so I'm looking for advice.

The seller claims the car is a complete running car with a new paint job that was "keyed" right after it was finished. So it needs at least minimum paint work. Body was said to be solid except some lower quarter repair,and a small rust hole in one of the front frames. It is supposed to be a numbers match driveline including the Hi-Po and 4 speed. The interior is shot, but complete. The engine needs detailing, and has some after market stuff intake, carb, exaust etc. the wheels are old 70's slot mags.

That being said what do I need to look for to determin if the engine is correct for the car? Vin marking? Where? Trans? How to I.D. if the car is a GT or not?

I have not followed the value of these cars like I have the later models. I will be going to see the car next week, and would like to have an approximate value range before I go. I have no pictures of the car, just the description I've given. Any ball parks on value? I realize that the type of paint job and quality will greatly affect the value even if "keyed". I'm thinking 20 to 30K range am I close?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have not done my homework on what to look for on the older K code cars so I'm looking for advice.

I will be going to see the car next week, and would like to have an approximate value range before I go. I have no pictures of the car, just the description I've given. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hi Jerry,

This site is loaded with information to answer most of your questions. Taking a "crash course" in all of the details of the K code Mustang is possible if you take the time to browse the posts and use the <i>ADVANCED SEARCH</i> feature. There is a LOT to learn about before you can make an offer on the car, and whether you can do this in a week or less is up to you. You should buy a copy of <i>The 289 High Performance Mustang</i>, available directly from this site to get started.

Buying these cars "right" takes a lot of specific knowledge. If you only have a week to decide, you might be better off getting in touch with someone from this site who lives in your area <i>that has the necessary experience</i> to look at the car with you <i>before</i> you make any commitment to buy the car.

• I have a copy of Tony's 289 Book and Bob's Small Block Ford book.

If you are local to me (I'm downriver), you are free to borrow both to use as a study guide (no way you could order both and get them in time, but you should buy both when you get a chance).

Or you can look my car over and we can point things out comparing to the books so you know what to look for.

Edited by - Beagle1 on 06/20/2007 17:06:14

• Thanks for the offer Ron!

I'm on the other side of the state in the Grand Rapids area. I'm not looking to know every detail about a K code Mustang yet,but I was hoping someone here could share the basics before I go.

Mainly should the block, heads, and trans have a VIN# on them if they are numbers match? Where would the VIN normally be stamped?

Is 20K for a decent running project car about market value? From the description is it close? I'm thinking the car is worth about 2/3 what a 69/70 big-block car is worth in the same condition. Am I close?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Jerry

• Hi Jerry.

Have a read of this link, it will tell you where the VIN on the block should be. You will have to crawl under the front end on the passenger side around the battery area. It will be easier if you could get the car on a hoist.

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5462

The VIN on the trans is quite easy to spot. Again if the car is on a hoist it's easier. If it's on the trans you cannot miss it, it's clearly visible.

The best bet would be to talk to maybe Ron on the phone.

Good luck and best regards,

René

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!