steering box on 65 k code

• This box has about 6 inches of play in the steering wheel, when I try and adjust the bolt, I noticed that about 3/4 inch or more was sticking out. Seems to me that only about 1/4 inch should be sticking out...Is it possible that someone screwed the set shaft out too much and had misalignment inside the box causing it not to be able to tighten the bolt down...When the bolt is lost, the shaft will not move, it's way too tight...Also could this be corrected on the car? Thanks Garth

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 12/08/2010 23:12:00

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Thanks,I figured that it's going to be a relacement of the box..Thanks again Garth

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

they can be rebuilt, usually at a cost less than the Flaming River boxes, and at much less cost than the rack & pinion conversions. Once rebuilt, they will last for years, In my opinion a freshly rebuilt Ford steering box compares VERY well with the more expensive rack & pinion systems.

Z.

• Don't try to judge the box adjustement by the length of the bolt sticking out as it's not a indicator of the preload on the steering gear. The box should be properly lubriacted and that requires pulling one of the cover bolts and injecting the appropriate amount of grease to fill the gear box. The best way to adjust the box is off the car with the benefit of correct tools and the Ford service manuals. You will also notice a seemingly stiff area in the center of the steering gear where the wheel wants to stay and Ford deliberately designed that into the mechanism to help the car stay centered going down the road.

Randy at Stanger does a great job and can help out if the box needs to be overhauled.

• according to posts over at the VMF, Randy is not accepting any more work at the present time. I would check with him to verify this. Do a search over there and you will find several other qualified rebuilders.

Z.

• I had my steering box rebuilt earlier this year by Jim @ shelby parts. Can't say enough about the whole process. It took about 2 weeks from start to finish. The box was pretty rough to start with. It is now as close to perfect as I could wish for, both in appearance and operation. I don't remember the exact price but I felt as if it was quite reasonable. I would recommend him highly.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!