K Coupe Fuel Pressure

• After many years of sitting and proper procedures prior to start, my K came to life. Question, it appears I have too much fuel pressure as fuel seems to be pushing past needle & seat. When it first happened, I figured need to rebuild carb, which I did, but still have same issue. From the looks and comparison to the descriptions in the HPM Registry Book, the fuel pump is original. What is the proper fuel pressure? Is it possible from sitting it is putting out too much pressure? Would the filter from sitting all those years add to increased fuel pressure? Thanks!

• Going to in the morning, suspect is needle & seat, but when I take out it appears to work fine, need to check the float level again as well. It just runs so rich and secondaries appear to leak with gas appearing on the throttle butterflies, not much but enough were it is just not right, enough to use a rag and wipe up (when engine is shut off). Would it be something on the secondary adjustment? Seems very sensitive on throttle up and really will not idle.

• If you are running a 4100 carburetor it is possible that the air bleeds on the secondary venturi cluster are plugged. This happens a lot when carburetors are not used over a period of time. This can also happen to the accelerator pumps jets, especially with todays fuels. There are six bleeds and you will need to remove the carburetor top and venturi cluster to access all of the holes. They can easily be cleaned with a small wire like on a parts tag wired to a part. While you are in there, you might as well do the primary venturi cluster as well. If these are plugged, the fuel will keep siphoning out of the float bowl even if the engine is not running. This will also create a rich fuel mixture while it is running.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!