plug wires jumping spark

• i fired my car up today and heard a slight ticking sound coming from the passenger side of my motor. when i looked closer i noticed a spark jumping from the plug boot to the plug/block. What causes this and how do i fix it. the wires are only one season old and are not cracked or bad. any suggestions help.

duke

• That is actually the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Thanks for the reply I'm going to look into it more this afternoon. If anyone thinks of anything else please let me know. I'll let you know how I make out tonight. Thanks again

Duke

• I had this happen years ago with a set of new repop HiPo plug wires. Don't remember where I got them but they were not the ones Marti makes. I replaced the boots with those from a Motorcraft wire set I had laying around and that solved the problem.

Dave
    6S1757

• Yes, I also had a set of older non Marti repro wires split a boot. Only missed under load and drove me crazy for a little while. The split was not visible until I removed the boot.

• well after spending a little more time with this problem, changing wires and regapping the plug. i finally pulled the plug and looked at it more and the white part had small cracks in it. So I replaced the plug and the problem went away. thanks for all the responses with this matter.

duke

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!