Pertonix to coil or to ignition switch?

• I have a 1965 hi-po fastback, with orig. dual point distributor, and i have installed pertonix 2 , made for dual points.I have it wired to the coil which is the way the instuctions say to do it.The coil is a yellow top repo from Dennis Carpenter, which is also new. Is it better to run it wired back to the ignition switch where i am garanteed to get twelve volts, or to the coil where only God knows what i am getting? Can i put a gauge on the coil to measure the output? I think a hotter coil would benefit me alot. Yes i did use the feeler gauge and did set the pertronix right.Someone told me that wired to ignition switch, you must be sure not to leave key on acc. or it will fry the pertronix? why can't someone make a hot yellow top coil?

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 09/21/2008 23:22:48

• I too have the P2 in mine. All the information I could find is that you do want a full 12v to the P2 not the coil voltage. Some seem to work fine from the coil voltage, but I wasn't going to risk it. The P2 shouldn't fry if the ignition is left on thats the P1, but I installed a simple toggle switch between the ignition switch and the P2 just in case I want to have the ignition on without the P2 for testing something else.

Mark

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The coil is a yellow top repo from Dennis Carpenter, which is also new.....why can't someone make a hot yellow top coil?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Keep an original yellow top in the trunk. I have had two repos fail on me including one of the new designs.

Dave
    6S1757

• There is a pink resistance wire between the ignition switch and the firewall plug. This wire should be bypassed. That will provide 12volts to the Ignitor with the Ignition switch in the ON position. In the ACC position, the Ignitor gets no voltage.

There is no practical reason to use the Ignitor 2 system with a standard coil. The Ignitor 2 detects the saturation of the coil by current flow and limits the current flow upon saturation so that a low resistance coil does not overheat at low rpm. There is plenty of resistance in a standard coil that current limiting is not necessary. It won't hurt anything to use it, but the standard Ignitor would do as well. To really capitalize on the Ignitor 2 advantage, a low resistance coils should be used. The only one that looks like the yellow top is the one used with original transistorized ignition in the 1960s. It was about ½" longer, but otherwise appeared the same. It is a super low resistance coil and needs the Ignitor 2's current limiting features. Other than that, you have to tolerate more modern-looking coils.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!