Transmission Bellhousing Bolt Removal

• I am having a difficult time removing the 2 upper transmission to bellhousing bolts on one of my cars. The transmission is a 4spd toploader bolted to a 289. The bellhousing has the Borg Warner bolt pattern so when the toploader is bolted up one needs to use the inner bolt holes on the transmission flange instead of the outers. Bottoms are easy but the upper ones can barely be seen. Anyone out there go through this and if so any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. I have removed the cross member so that I can tilt the trans for a little more clearance but that doesn't seem to help too much. Thanks in advance. All I'm trying to do is install a new clutch.

Craig

• Merlyn, He is trying to access the transmission bolts and not the bellhousing bolts. The transmission bolts are too far rearward to access from the engine compartment. I have had success accessing the inner upper bolts with a really long 3/8 extension from the rear of the trans with a swivel socket on the bolts.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks, Fred, for the info. I was trying that but initially was using a 1/2" drive with a swivel extension attached to the socket. Your idea sounds much better as the smaller socket drive (3/8") AND using the swivel socket is not as big and bulky as my setup. So it's off to the store to expand my tool collection! I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Craig

• Toooooo warm to do anything that resembles work, but I did get the necessary tools. Even the shade under that car isn't enough! Summer is here in Spring?

• Yes, the crossmember is removed and the bellhousing is being supported with a small hydraulic jack which I can readily control. I plan on trying to remove the upper bolts tomorrow which is my day off. Thanks!

Craig

• Update:

1 bolt loose (passenger side) using Fred's method. THANKS!! The driver's side looks much more difficult as I can barely see the bolt. I may be able to get to it through the 4-spd shifter hole in the passenger compartment. I'm actually working on a '64 Ranchero and not my Shelby but I assume the procedure would be the same so that's why I posted for some help. More positive news to follow, I hope! Thanks for all of the advice.

Craig

• Update:

As my dad once said, "Success Smiles Upon Us". After a long hiatus due to my "real" job consuming all of my time, I just got the upper trans bolt out on the driver's side. I removed the 4-spd trans tunnel and was able to access the bolt from the top with the swivel socket and extension as was recommended earlier. It was a little loose anyway so not too difficult to remove. Hopefully the rest of the job will be pretty straight forward as I have replaced clutches before (where have we heard that before?). All I can say now is that this clutch had better last a LONG time. Thanks to all who provided info in helping with my dilemma.

Craig

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!