help with intake manifold installation

• Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me some tips about installing a cast iron stock hipo intake manifold. I have done some research on the net, but I get conflicting methods. Here is how I believe that the manifold should be installed, and perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong:

1) Coat the surface of the head where the intake manifold bolts to with a paper thin coat of gasket cement.

2) Coat the surface of the gasket (the side that mates to the head) with a paper thin coat of gasket cement. (I am using fel-pro gaskets)

3) Do not place any gasket cement on the top part of the gasket where the intake manifold sits on. (This is what I am not sure of) I did read that it was ok to put a little bit of RTV around the water ports??

4) I am going to use the cork gaskets on the front and rear of the manifold. I know that I am supposed to put a dab of RTV on each end of the cork gasket where it meets up with the main gaskets, but should I seal the top and bottom of these gaskets with silicone as well, or should I use gasket cement?

I know the torque sequence and the torque settings for the bolts, but I am not entirely sure about preparing the gaskets for the mounting of the manifold. As far as I can tell, there should only be gasket cement used on the head, and the bottom of the gasket that mates to the head, and not on the top side of the gasket.

If anyone can give me any tips, I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to do this twice I tore my engine down to paint it and it looks too pretty to mess up

Thanks in advance.....

• when I did mine, I used just enough cement to hold the gaskets in place to the head, and I used it on the end gaskets to the block, with RTV in the corners. alot of instructions will say to throw away the cork end gaskets and use RTV, but I have not had any problems. I also pulled my distributor.

Edited by - 289kford on 03/28/2008 13:54:45

• It would be wise to use two front and two rear studs and to keep the manifold aligned to keep the end cork gaskets from moving. Then remove them when the rest of the bolts are in place to keep it aligned. I've never used any sealer on the side gaskets, but did use some on the cork ones. Make sure that the surface of the block is clean where the cork gaskets are installed.

"289kford" <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I also pulled my distributor.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Dave V.

• The intake gasket has a tab that interlocks with the head gasket. never had any problem with the gasket moving. For the front and rear i use gasket cement let it dry .

Mike

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!