How to install harmonic balancer

• I got my damper back from the rebuilder and it looks great. I need to reinstall it, but was wondering if there is a special procedure so that I don't damage anything. Do I need to use a damper installation tool - what is that and how do they work?

I was thinking of just torquing the bolt back on, but can that damage the crank?

• A little grease on the seal, a gentle tap on the hub after you are aligned with the keyway, then pull it down with the crank bolt. Be sure and torque to specification.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

"torque to spec" - Anybody got the reference on the spec for our beloved Ks?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>That would be 70 to 90 ft lbs.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/p4f8ee1bd214d6f407a7e7df72a842ee9/f5253efc.jpg]

• I use crocus paper to clean up the surface of the crankshaft end, WD40 and compressed air to clean out the crank bolt threads. Then Anti-sieze lubricant on the balancer for future problem-free removal, a NEW crank bolt with Loctite 271 threadlocker. Air impact to draw down then final torquing to ~95#.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!