top loader transmission restoration?

• I am not rebuilding it, just restoring the casing and shift linkage.

What is your process, paints, or anything else you do to yours while restoring it?

Thanks

• If the transmission is out of the car, scrape off as much crud as you can. A wire brush or a wire wheel help. Use a garage oil drip pan to contain the mess. Be careful of wiring. You can remove the shifter linkage if you really get ambitious. The next steps are to remove tar, oil and grease. You can use thinner and a parts cleaner brush to do this. Smaller sections can be touched up by brake cleaner. To finish off cleaning, some people use Simple Green (I don't, the smell makes me sick), or spray Gunk engine cleaner. Most of these have a water rinse requirement which is normal. I like Krud Kutter available from Home Depot in the paint department. If you want to use paint, try Eastwood http://www.eastwood.com/

This is the journey, others had described the destination.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The case and tail shaft would be a dark gray, shift rods about the same. Inspection plate was natural steel with dark heat-treated bolts. Shift levers and gate assembly were originally zinc plated, so you want those to look silver color.

This pic should give a general idea of the colors:

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/vert/3…26_05%20007.jpg

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Did you put the yellow writing and dabs of paint back on this one and do you have pictures of the whole thing?

Thanks

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Did you put the yellow writing and dabs of paint back on this one and do you have pictures of the whole thing?

Thanks

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That's not a K code trans, so probably not good to look at for those details.

I would recommend only putting back marks that you find on your transmission or possibly one built extremely close in production and at the same assembly plant.

Would he like to trade for my wide ratio tl?

I talked to him and he wants to keep his. Sorry

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!