Flywheel and Clutch question?

• We have our HiPo engine at the shop for rebuild. They have asked me to bring over the clutch I want to use for part of the overall fit and balancing process.

My flywheel is original and doesn’t look like it is very thick to me. The area where the clutch disk would mate up to is only about 1/8 of an inch thicker than the starter gear ring. Does this sound OK? Does anyone know what the thickness of the flywheel should be?

Also what type of clutch do you guy’s recommend for a car that will get driven but not raced.

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 01/27/2011 00:45:39

• Centerforce I is plenty of clutch for a Hi-Po.

this is from the 1966 Ford shop manual: ..."If it is necessary to remove more than 0.045 inch of stock from the original thickness, replace the fly- wheel........"

I don't know the original thickness

Z.

Edited by - zrayrichter on 01/23/2011 19:11:34

• I'm using a Ram 10.5in. clutch and pressure plate in my car and very happy with it. I think when measuring the thicknees of the flywheel you should go to the outter edge where their is no wear take readings and then measure the center section. This will normally show the difference in wear. (0.045)

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Centerforce I is plenty of clutch for a Hi-Po....

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I agree, don't think I'll ever use anything else.

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• Measure the thickness of the flywheel edge. It should be .85" when new. You can cut up to .045", so minimum thickness should be .805". The ring gear is .14" below the clutch surface, so even at max wear there sould be .095" clearance.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!