Lower Radiator Hose Spring??

• I noticed recently in the VA Mustang catalog that a spring is available for the lower radiator hose.

I remember that most every 289 I ever had back in the day HAD a spring in the lower hose, and the reproductions don't.

I believe the spring was used to keep the hose from colapsing when pressure built up so coolant flow wouldn't be restricted.

Mt question is for those that drive their Kars:Do you run a spring or not? and will the present reproduction hoses colapse without the spring?

• I put about 30,000 miles on my car without the spring. Plenty of high rpm driving. Never had any indication that there was a problem with the coolant flow. Then I found a spring and put it in the lower hose & added another 10,000 + miles. Same results.

Just an opinion, but I'm thinking the hose material back in the day was NOT the same compound we have today in the hoses. And todays hoses are less likely to deform under a partial vacuum like they did 40 years ago.

Z. Ray

• I run a spring in mine.

Goodyear claims to produce hoses that have a stiff enough inner fabric layer in the center that they don't require the spring any more. Since Ford used to supply them with the spring and my car is a concours restoration it goes with the territory. Marti sells the original style repro hoses as do most of the aftermarket Mustang suppliers, but you generally have to buy the spring separately.

It's unlikely that a modern hose with the stiffer composition will actually collapse, though theoretically possible.

Edited by - round2K on 09/04/2010 13:22:54

• I just ordered a new lower hose and spring from

VA Mustang a few months ago. I didn't need the spring I ordered, b/c the new hose had one inside it already! Not sure if that's the norm, but now I have a spare spring laying around.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Interesting......I don't really know where my hoses came from....I guess I'd better pinch the lower to see if there is already one in there...

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

the springs I've seen are so flimsy I don't think you can tell if one is there except by looking inside the hose.

Z.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!