Differential Housing

• What type of red/orange paint is used for the differential housing that holds the gears?

The snubber bracket looks like Eastwood Clear Zinc would get that right. Suggestions on this piece?

Thanks,

ronn

65 FB

• Thanks for the info!

Charles: the Eastwood Clear Zinc product has a silvery glint to it, so I'll try that for the snubber bracket.

Eastwood also retails paint called Detail Gray, which I have used for a natural cast metal look. Both seem to hold up very well.

• Update:

The Clear Zinc turns out to have a little too much blue in it, so I will try the Eastwood Detail Grey.

I studied the gear case color of my differential and that of a 66 Mustang. Both match. This paint has been bathed in gear oil and has been protected from both the elements and repainting by others. It closely resembles the paint that was also painted on its external side, but the exterior side has also born some weathering and grime, so a good amount of it on the outside is hard to see, even after cleaning.

What I do see, both in and out, is that both cases have a red paint that is more red than that of those I have see painted and shown on this site and in Gregory's book 3rd ed (p.57), all of which seem a bit on the orange side. I realize that workers on the line sprayed what was in the gun, and thus there are some possible differences by factory or day of the week. My diffs tell me that the color is a bit more like red oxide than orange oxide.

I can post a picture. Trying to figure out how to do that...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!