Proportioning Valve

• I read with interest the past threads on disc brake proportioning valves. While rebuilding my master cylinder and front disc brakes, I thought it would be prudent to also do the proportioning valve. I ordered the kit for the late model version from NPD and installed it. It leaked (it didn't leak prior to the rebuild). I sent the valve to Mark Furrier in Mass. He had told me that he was seeing valves with a 3/4 inch O-ring on the piston instead of the proper 11/16 inch. It turned out that that was the issue with mine. It seems that the kits from NPD have the wrong size piston O-ring. It should be very difficult to put the proper size O-ring on the piston; so much so that Mark camfers the end of the piston, soaks the O-ring in brake fluid and heats it up to get it to go on. If it goes on real easy, it's likely the wrong one. Just a caution to all who get thier kit from NPD.

• I was never able to get mine to stop leaking when I "rebuilt" it. O ring was correct, but I had some (near) invisible pitting in the bore, I sent it off to a pro who had it fixed right (re-sleeved it) in no time. I can recommend Jim Cowles @ shelbyparts.com without reservation.

Z.

• Z.,

I also am having mine re-sleeved, by Mark, as a precaution, even though the bore appears to be OK. Just want to be done with it.

BTW, I'm a newbie to the K code world and have found a wealth of good info on this site. Thanks to all.

Wayne

• Wayne,

Smart move having it re-sleeved. I tried to rebuild mine with a Cobra Automotive kit. Nothing wrong with the kit but it was a total disaster. The bore may look OK, mine did too, but will likely have micro scoring and/or pitting that causes undetectable damage to the piston when disassembled. The valve will probably never go back together the same way and jam, at least that's what happened to mine. Ended up having it re'sleeved as well.

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!