Exhaust Trumpet

• Although there seems to be no definite dimensions for how far the trumpet sticks out, I have found that measuring as you did in the image you have posted that the distance you may find pleasing to the eye and matching as close as possible to factory photos would be about 1 1/8". So, Yes I feel the ones shown are sticking out way too far. Also, if you do not have NOS trumpets the look will change very much, since most repoductions are unlike the Ford issue. The higher priced ones made by Scott Drake are pretty much a dead ringer for NOS other than the mild steel pipe is powder coated rather than bare steel as on the originals, and the Drake trumpets do not have the "tatoo" of the part number on them. Va. Mustang has the "good" ones from Drake, as well as the awful ones. Be sure if you order to insist on the higher quality "concours" style -the others are throw away quality and are a waste of money and time. Of course the length of the resonator pipe determines where the tips will be so you have have to modify that in order to get the correct length of trumpet exiting the valance panel. Getting a proper fit and look on these is not always an easy task!

• Thanks Murf,

It seems too far to me too. I've looked at photos of quite a few GT's with varying lengths of the trumpets extending out of the valance but have not seen a documented dimension for it. The trumpets on my car are original, but the tailpipe's aren't.

Matt

• There are no documented dimensions for length that I am aware of, only minimum clearance. I have seen them all over the place and probably came from the factory that way. Personally I prefer them a little closer than your provided pic.

• I've seen a concentric dimensional tolerance in the Osborne Reproduction Assy Manual, but not a hard forward or aft dimension for the trumpets. Is there another factory assy manual that defines it better?

Matt

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Of course the length of the resonator pipe determines where the tips will be so you have have to modify that in order to get the correct length of trumpet exiting the valance panel. Getting a proper fit and look on these is not always an easy task!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Yes indeed!

• The trumpets on the GT in the 1965 dealer brochure look too far out to me.....I've rarely seen any cars with them out that far.....where is the 1 1/8" measured from and to??

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!