Alternator Restoration?

• I am having a correct ROUND TAB alternator rebuilt/restored at my local auto electric shop.

The owner took alot of interest in this project and will not only rebuild it but will do anything needed to make it correct.

He has PLENTY of ROUND TAB alternators in his core bin and was surprised when I told him THEY were a little hard to come by.

I am going to buy a new fan and the correct '65 HIPO pulley and have him install them.

What I need to know is what color the Stater should be--the part that shows through at the center of the case-(this is the stater, isn't it?)in the parts books I have it looks like a shade of gold?? also,do the '65 HIPO 289 alternators have the ORANGE ink stamp as the later cars do? Thanks!

• I contacted Bob Mannel via Email and he said to the best of information he had was that ALL alternators installed at the factory on 1965 cars DID NOT have any stamps, but due to failures into the 1966 year any 1965 cars received a stamped 1966 alternator as a "service replacement" at the Ford dealer, so then THAT given 1965 car indeed had a stamped (1966) alternator, Bob went on to say I should find 3-4 KNOWN UNMOLESTED ORIGINAL cars and take it from there with my findings and procede acordingly.

• I just looked at the info on thr 2006 MCA rules and it says that 1965 alternators may not have a stamp, so I am not going to worry about a stamp for mine, if anything I will add it later IF judges say its loosing points without it.

Otherwise, I have built a correct alternator for about 1/2 what all the pretty ones go for!

• All 3 of my unrestored 65's have Autolite stamps on there alternators in black or dark blue ink.The amp rating is in red ink.On two of them you can still read the date stamps.One is Aug 64 the other is June 65.They are original to the cars.

• It would be great to get photographs of your stamps.

If you can get some nice shots I can post them for you if you do not have a web host or know how - it is a little tricky but not hard.

• OK, I guess it looks like my July 1965 Dearborn "K" convertible needs to be stamped after all, question is does anyone reproduce a correct stamp that I can buy to do mine?? it seems so secretive......

• I viewed the pictures of the alternator posted here and it appears that the stamping on the unit would be located at the bottom of the alternator if installed on a car equipped 289 cuin engine. My question to mgmradio is are your cars(stamping on the bottom) like that also? If so the stamps being place on them by the reproduction people are incorrect and it should be noted.

• I can handle any size photo - I have the Microsoft program to resize them for posting.

I like to get large photos for archives and post smaller versions.

THANKS

• I have a friend here locally that does alternator restorations. They look and function as good as anyone. He uses orginal housingss. I can attest to that as he gets all of my orginal units. I think some of the vendors are using reproduction housings. His are also stamped right.

• RichardP, Where did your freind get his stamp made?? is this something the general public can buy without having to be sprayed with Bat Knock Out and taken into the Bat Cave unconcious?

• I don't know where he got the stamp made. I'll ask for you and send you a private e-mail. I do know that you have to kind of roll the stamp on the alternator but it looks great.

• I found my original case at a friends farm sitting on a pile of junk from his grandpa's 65 mustang. When I got home and dusted off the case, I saw the faded original stamp.

After media blasting up the case, I swapped guts from a donor Alt from NAPA, stripped off the black paint on the center section "ribs" and repainting them amber, and restamped it EXACTLY where the stamp was (If you held it at an angle to the light and your mouth just right you could still see the original stamp).

The stamp was on top. Just like the AMK repop on their web site.

Thanks Stacy and Bob for the help and advice!

If someone wantes to post how to post a pick I will he happy to or I can send them a picture of my restored 65 Alt.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!