Water Pump Pulleys

• Anyone know the difference between the following two water pump pulleys?

C5AE-8509-B

C5OE-8509-A

Although the 1st one is a "Ford" part and the 2nd one is a "Fairlane" part, they are both listed as being suitable and used on '65 & '66 Mustangs. Anyone know if they were different in any way?

Thanks in advance.

• The C5OE pulley goes straight back from the face of the pulley at the water pump hub to the pulley itself. The C5AE pulley has an outward taper to the pulley about 1/2 way back from the face at the hub. The C5OE pulley was designed to clear the P/S belt that ran from the crank pulley direct to the P/S pump. The C5AE pulley was an interference to the belt due to the taper. If you email me, I can send you a picture of them side by side for comparison as I have both of them in stock.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Fred. Thanks for the info, I've sent you my email address.

So, that means if the car DOESN'T have power steering it should have the C5AE and if it DOES have power steering it should have the C5OE? And, does the interference to the belt with the taper on the pulley make any real difference? Thanks.

• The Ford parts book calls for the C5OE pulley but I have mostly seen the C5AE pulleys on 65 and 66 Hipos as they do not have a power steering belt issue. The pictures that I sent you Sam clearly show the differences.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Fred. Thanks for the pictures, it's completely clear. The C5AE appears to be a more robust design as the taper out to the belt running surface is more sympathetic to where the bending moment on the pulley will be. I'll drop you back an email tonight. Sam

• I could not have explained it as well as you did Sam.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!