HYPO Toploader rebuilder??

• I need to get my HYPO's toploader rebuilt/restored, who is the best for this? do they do the shifters as well?? or should it be done separately? will they do the correct phosphate & oil finish on the trans during the rebuild??

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 01/29/2008 23:39:11

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I need to get my HYPO's toploader rebuilt/restored, who is the best for this? do they do the shifters as well?? or should it be done separately? will they do the correct phosphate & oil finish on the trans during the rebuild??

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 01/29/2008 23:39:11

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I've only had dealings with David Kee in San Antonio http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com

His service was great and the prices were fair. I'd definitely recommend him.

I've never heard a bad word about the other rebuilders, but don't know their work firsthand.

Z. Ray

• Dan Williams has been in the toploader business probably longer than any of the others. I bought parts from him back in the late 70's. He has an excellent reputation. As already mentioned, any of the aforementioned vendors would do a great job for you.

• Hurst did my (Hurst) shifter in '04:

Hurst Performance

Shifter Rebuild Service

550 Mallory Way

Carson City, NV 89701

Include your name, shipping address, and daytime telephone number. Allow 3 weeks + shipping time for rebuild. Allow an additioal week for Hurst OEM shifters.

I'd call them first: 775-882-6600 Extension 342, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Pacific time.

DO NOT SEND THE LINKAGES. Clean and coat them yourself. They WILL NOT do them.

The head guy then was (maybe still is) Nick Bird - knows what he's doing and is very helpful.

The prices vary on automatics, but the manual shifters were all $90 then.

• I spoke to the shifter expert (Bill Heeley) on Friday and sent him my shifter for rebuilding....Real Nice personable guy, I might add!!

Anyway I asked for HIS recomendation on a suitable rebuilder for my Toploader, and HE HIGHLY RECOMENDED David Kee-said that many years ago that DAN WILLIAMS sold DAVID KEE about 20 imput shafts with bearings that were manufactured out of round and caused KEE lots of trouble which HE ATE all the repairs and shipping just to maintain his reputation--So, guess where MY Toploader is going?? To Texas, to David Kee!! Just thought I'd pass this on!!

• I agree about Bill Heeley --- attitude is everything. I told him that I'd stop and see him and the operation when I get out his way. Also agree about David Kee.

(Incidentally, all areas / cities don't have top-notch trans rebuilders, but in an east side Detroit suburb, there is an old school transmission guy, so that's where I had mine done.)

• I finally got the shipping case fro David Kee yesterday.

This thing is HUGE!!!! theres room for 4 toploaders in there.....I am going to call them to see if this one is right or if there is anouther size I should have gotten.

Anyone have experiance shipping a trans in Kee's container?? I'm really not sure how to package my trans in there....I was under the impression that the container was more or less form fitting for the toploader.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!