control arm dip line

• I'm refurbishing my upper and lower control arms and was wondering where the paint dip line on the upper ones would be. In the photos I have seen the dip extends farther out than the spring perch mounting holes but not as far out as the edge of the cutout area. That makes sense to me but is it right? I could swear that I'd seen some that kept the spring perch holes "natural". My upper arms don't have any traces of paint left to go by.

My kar is October '64, so might they have been all natural?

Edited by - b9folk on 01/21/2008 12:01:53

• Thanks, Jeff. I took another look at my arms to refresh my memory. The upper ones had shiny metal where the spring perch had been, no sign of paint there. The rest has that cepia-toned patina of rust. My lower ones show black paint where the strut rods were mounted, otherwise just rust. I'll have to guess as to whether the upper ones were unpainted or just stopped short of the spring perch, as there is no other evidence to guide me. My first concern is just to get the surface sealed so they do not continue rusting.

• Here is what I tried,sand plasted the complete upper arm,taped off about an inch in front of the holes and painted black,then clear coated the unpainted part of the nose to keep from rusting so fast,came out pretty nice.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!