restoring window trim

• Well it's winter here in Michigan and that means unless the shop is heated you are stuck in the house. I want to clean and polish the bright work around the front window while I sit in front of the TV this winter. I could send it out for a professional job, but I think this is something I can do. My question is... can this be done in the house by hand and what would you use? As always I look forward to hearing from the folks on this site. Qman

• It depends on what condition yours are in. If there are no DA sanding marks, scratches or dings, you can buff them relatively easy with them still on the car. Just tape up around them.

Otherwise, if they need more attention, then removal and machine buffing is the best option.

• I remember this topic coming up here from a few years ago - the writer did his by hand with a variety of mild abrasives and said they came out like new. I imagine he started with pretty good quality. I doubt the thread would be in the archives at this point.

I don't remember the details but imagine he used pumice and stainless polishes - I recall that he work small dents and dings out with some tools. (I've met Quentin's wife and, though this may be rare, I'm quite sure that she'd let him polish in the living room during the Michigan wintertime.)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!