Gas Tank Logo

• Hi Murf,

I attended the Yellow Rose car show on Saturday

but did not see Tom Daniels. I think his car was

there but owned by somebody else nowadays.

Sorry, but I will continue to see if I can get

in contact with him or Gregg Cly.

/Bo

• To bring those of you who have been following this subject up to speed, here is what is going on. Today I atempted to contact by phone a person at the IRVIN WORKS plant of USS where the tank material was produced and try and get some help decoding the information on the USS logo stamp. Frustrating experience, passed from the "guard shack" to "MR KUBUS" with several detours and with the exception of the security officer at the "guard shack" really never did get to talk to anything but an answering machine and some poor lady who kept transfering me to different people who "might know something". Left messages for different individuals, and finally just wrote a letter to Mr. Kubas explaining what I was interested in and to check his messages after he read the letter. I included images and an explaination of what we were interested in and why we were interested. Perhaps something will come of this, at this point I really do not know. Also attempted to contact the Local Union at the Irvin Works but never did talk to a "human being" there - just transfered from one voice mail to anoher - even the "operator" there was only available by voice mail. When or IF i hear more on this I will post on this forum, and if any of you have any input or added information on the logo or a contact at the USS Irvin Works plant at Davosburg, PA please help us out.

• Mr. Mark Kabus from United States Steel, Irvin plant returned my calls late this afternoon and he now has all of the images and information that we have gathered up to this point. He seemed eager to help with the questions about the logo stamping on some Mustang gasoline tanks and I expect that within a few days we will be able to understand exactly what the characters stamped on the USS logo mean and how to read them. Will share the info with all of you when it arrives.

• I will tell you what guys I am a sheetmetal worker , have been for 42 years what your seeing is the stamp that United States Steel used to put on all galvinized metal , after the the sheet is run thru the zinc tank it goes thru a series of rollers to flatten it out because the zinc is so hot it wants to warp the metal and then it goes thru a roller like a printing press that puts those stamps on them about every 4 feet or so all it is is ink becaue it wipes right off with a cleaner , you dont see it on to much steel any more because most of the steel is made over seas , and i know they closed down a couple of steel plants in ohio , let me look around and see if i can find some old duct work with the stamp still on them , if any body knows of any the stamp will probaly be on the inside of the duct . Thanks Larry

• I've seen the stamping on various sheet metal over the years, mostly on hvac ductwork but also on electrical equipment enclosures and boxes. As you stated the stamping generally was every 4', I think the chances of ever seeing the stamp on the visible portion of an original gas tank would be slim. I guess it would be a nice touch for a restoration but personally it's the last thing I would be trying to duplicate.

Me, I'm more interested in getting my original 4120S fuel pump rebuilt, lol...

• The end of this search can be found in the "CONCOURS FORUM" section of the Vintage mustang forum listed under "gas tank logo" Thanks to all of you who provided images, information and encouragment over the last several months. You guys and gals are great!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!