Rebuild 1965 Disk Brake Master Cylinder

• Hello,

We met Sunday at the MCA show in Mustang. I was the guy taking all the photos of your car. I ended up getting a NOS master cylinder. It may still need rebuilding due to age of the rubber. At this point, I still need some of the fittings that adapt the early master cylinder to the brake line fittings. Do you have a line on any of those?

Thanks,

Chuck

• If you're rebuilding an original, send it first to Sierra Specialty Automotive http://www.brakecylinder.com for re-sleeving before you rebuild. The cost is $75 and they do a beautiful job.

I'm told that rebuild kits from NPD, Virginia, etc., are same as NAPA part. For our 66 we bought the NAPA kits for the 66 and the 67 as the 67 kit included the correct piston/rod which the 66 kit did not.

One word of caution; there are two different NAPA kits, one for earlier cars (65?) and one for later. I think it has something to do with a difference in the rod/piston diameter. The 67 rod may not work for a 65.

Once you get all this figured out, it is a very easy rebuild. Buy a new cap and, when finished, the master cylinder looks like new with the original casting.

Hope this helps !

Bill

• Chuck,

Have you checked that the NOS MC you

bought isn't of the later type that

doesn't need the specific adapter bolts

but have the cones built into the MC itself?

Just a tip.

/Bo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!