Seeking advice - carb, manifold, header upgrades

• Hi Guys:

I have 65K vert that is all stock. I was thinking of upgrading to a better intake manifold, carburetor, and some headers. I'm not looking for anything radical or too loud. My wife also drives the car(she can be a little racey). I sure appreciate your advice and experiance. Thank you.

• If were your shoes, I'd keep the Hi-Po carb and ford intake. Add a pair of ceramic Tri-Y headers and a Magnaflow stainless steel 2.5 inch exhaust system with the X pipe crossover. Your can get the Magnaflow system for $ 349 shipped to your door. Vendor is

http://www.performancepeddler.com/

You have to use the discount Code EBAYROCKS

Having done that, if you want more go, and who doesn't, look in changing the carb & intake.

if you want to change the intake & have a vintage look, Cobra Automotive sells a nice reproduction of the Cobra Hi-Rise style used on the '65 & '66 GT-350's. However, you may find the Autolite Hi-Po carb doesn't match up well with an after-market intake flange (air leaks). The Holleys carbs have less of a problem in this area. I have no experience with other modern intake designs, so perhaps other will chime in with recommendations.

Z. Ray

'66 GT-350

p.s. I am now using the exhaust system described above, and don't consider it too loud. Certainly less noise than flowmaster or Borla mufflers.

Edited by - zrayrichter on 02/27/2007 11:53:25

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Hi Guys:

I have 65K vert that is all stock. I was thinking of upgrading to a better intake manifold, carburetor, and some headers...I sure appreciate your advice and experience. Thank you.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

There's nothing wrong with doing some engine modifications to make a car run stronger than stock...However, at this point in time, it seems that vintage High Performance Mustangs with original, all stock engines, are the most desirable way to go. (That's in spades for a K code convert!) Many people are scouring swap meets and eBay looking for the correct stock HiPo intake manifolds, carburetors, and exhaust manifolds because their cars were modified years ago by previous owners who "lost" the original pieces. The goal is to restore their modified engines back to stock trim. Because of this trend, HiPo engine parts are now bringing premium prices, too.

If you are going to do any "bolt on" modifications to the engine, make sure ALL the original pieces are saved (including ALL the bolts, linkages, id tags, etc.) so the engine can be restored back to stock if desired. If you ever sell the car, you will be glad you saved the original pieces.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!