Ignition Coil Rebuild??

• Hi all.

I just had to replace the ignition coil on my K. The one I replaced looks fantastic, so I'm wondering if it's possible to have the coil rebuilt? I'm thinking not as there doesn't appear to be a way to open it up, but I may be wrong, and I hope I am. I had to pay a high price for a gold top that was second hand.

Thanks.

RP

• No, AFAIK coils can't be rebuilt. Some vendors such as Virginia Classic Mustang now offer a repop that is a big improvement over the ones that have previously been on the market and are total crap IMHO. Price is pretty reasonable, about $30 I think.

I've heard some good things about these new ones, anyone here tried one yet? Supposed to be identical to original yellow tops in looks and performance. The only difference I see in pics is they don't have the numeric code (date or what?) cast between the terimals.

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

No, AFAIK coils can't be rebuilt. Some vendors such as Virginia Classic Mustang now offer a repop that is a big improvement over the ones that have previously been on the market and are total crap IMHO. Price is pretty reasonable, about $30 I think.

I've heard some good things about these new ones, anyone here tried one yet? Supposed to be identical to original yellow tops in looks and performance. The only difference I see in pics is they don't have the numeric code (date or what?) cast between the terimals.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I recently purchased one of the new yellow top coils from VA Mustang. I'm currently running a black pertronix coil, and like the performance of it, but obviously it doesnt have the stock look of the yellow top. I too have had terrible luck with the previous yellow top coils. In any case, I haven't yet put mine in...but now that I've been reminded of it I think I'll swap it in this weekend and reply back with my initial thoughts.

I can say they do look much better than the earlier repro's. Now if the performance matches the looks we'll have a winner.

Kevin

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I've heard some good things about these new ones, anyone here tried one yet?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hi Dave.

I have just put a new repro yellow top coil on my kar. So far so good, car fired up fine. I have only driven it once with the new coil on, so it's only early days yet.

Regards,

René

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!