shock tower spacing

• I'm looking at replacing the top of the section of front frame rail that sits under the upper A arm. It is still intact, but crusty/rusty on top. I happened to notice that my upper A-arms have a lot of shims which got me thinking about alignment. When someone puts in a Monte Carlo bar, presumably it is the correct length, right? And people talk about lifting the car up to let the shock towers relax. But they never talk about whether you need to re-adjust the alighnment afterward. Anyway, i'm thinking that I should check just how much "lean-in" my towers have, and was wondering:

1. How long is the standard Monte bar, apron-to-apron?

2. How greatly does shock tower lean affect alignment?

• Any time that you need to spread the shock towers to add a Monte Carlo bar or export brace, it is imperative that you realign the front end. It will definitely put more positive camber in the front end and probably unequally. Most Mustangs that I have added these pieces to have always needed some help with spreading the shock towers. They just sag inward from age as there is not enough support from the factory for them.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!