replace or repair floorpans

• I am starting to restore my 64.5 k-code convertible. The floor pans along both door edges are rusted out. The rest of the pans are good.Do I replace all of the pans or do I just fix the edges and leave as much original as possible.I want to do it correctly so if I ever deside to sell it Is done right.Thank you for any help, Tom

• Are you having it done or are you doing it yourself?

The process is tedious but very do-able with a little know-how and welding expertise. You'll need a good wire-feed MIG welder (I have a Millermatic 135 120v) which works excellent on sheet metal. Using a TIG welder would be optimum but they're expensive and challenging to operate.

I can lay out a step-by-step process either here or off-line via e-mail if you're interested.

It would also help to have some snap shots of the areas, particularly where the pan joins the toe board in the front where an add'l seam is present.

Best of luck and let me know if I can be of assistance!

Mark

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I can lay out a step-by-step process either here or off-line via e-mail if you're interested.

It would also help to have some snap shots of the areas, particularly where the pan joins the toe board in the front where an add'l seam is present.

Mark

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Mark - I'll bet there are others on this site besides me who would love to read (and see, if you have photos) your step-by-step process.

• I'll wait a little to see if Tom can provide some pics of his cancer areas and I'll curtail the repair procedure to his project.

I wish I had pics of the similar repair I did like that but do not.

The repair itself is quite similar to a std. floor pan section replacement only the weld is thru contours which are a little more tricky to finish off than a cut in the tunnel area. The biggest task is removal/install of the convertible over-the-hump seat riser and it's many spot welds.

I'll cover that when we hear back from Tom.......

Mark

Mark

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!