WANTED: RADIO SUPRESSORS

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I need 2 FACTORY radio supressors for my '65 K Convertible, 1 for the alternator and 1 for the voltage regulator, can be nos or used. Thanks!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I have an extra one (voltage regulator one), got off ebay some time ago, don't know if it's good. Do you know how to test them?

Z. Ray

• It's basically a capacitor so you need to see if it is shorted or not, and then check the charge retaining capability. That is done with an old style ohm meter, the kind with a needle. A digital ohm meter will not work. The test is simple - in the ohm reading mode (2k ohm to 10 K ohm range) after zeroing the meter, hold the black probe lead to the case and the red probe lead to the bullet connnector lead. The needle wil rise rapidly and then drop to zero. Immediately reverse the black and red probe leads and if the supressor is good, the meter will rise higher that the first reading and then drop to zero. If the needle stays high at any time, the supressor is shorted - if the needle does not move, it's open.

Jim

• Has anyone read the information in BOB MANNEL'S book in section 5 page 42 refering to these supressors??

It says that "after about 7/9/65 Ford switched to an INTERNAL supressor"

My KAR has a scheduled build date of July 27th 1965, and I have no idea if my alternator has an INTERNAL supressor, but in reading this I feel that MY KAR does not need to have an EXTERNAL supressor to be considered correct.

• Z.Ray & ALL, THANKS for the link!!! That one is for the VOLTAGE REGULATOR (which I need as well) and it looks like the only difference is that the one for the ALTERNATOR has the bracket in the center, so Z.Ray, I'll need yours if its the one for the alternator?? Thanks! Rick

• Don't know about the ones in the ebay link Z.Ray posted above but most of the ones you find on ebay are stamped C6OA so would be for 66 and later. The C5 ones are pretty rare. The 64.5-early 65 Mustangs may have used the C3SA stamped one until the C5's came out but not sure about that.

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Z.Ray & ALL, THANKS for the link!!! That one is for the VOLTAGE REGULATOR (which I need as well) and it looks like the only difference is that the one for the ALTERNATOR has the bracket in the center, so Z.Ray, I'll need yours if its the one for the alternator?? Thanks! Rick

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

the ones I have are the C60A types.

Z. Ray

• Z.Ray, I don't have a clue as to what the part number is on these, I just know that it looks like the one for the alternator has the bracket in the center, and it appears that the one for the voltage regulator has the bracket more towards the oposite end from where the wire is, can you please send me a picture of what you have to" rbarkley1@cfl.rr.com Thanks!! Rick

• You got my curosity up so I looked. My 5/11/65 San Jose build 'A' code GT has the condenser (Ford's name) at the alternator marked "913" at the top (manufacturer's part number), "Fomoco" above center and "C5TA-18827-A" at the bottom.

The capacitor (Ford's name) at the voltage regulator is marked "C3SA-18832-A" at the top, "648" in the center with no other marking.

In my junk box, there were a couple of capacitors marked "C6OA-18832-A" on the top, "648" in the center and "Fomoco" on the bottom and one marked "C6OA-18832-A" at the top, "Autolite" (preceded by their logo) in the center and "648" at the bottom. All the Fomocos were in an oval and all the 648 were also in an oval.

Jim

• Jim,

Your info on the voltage regulator condensers (capacitor) matches what I have seen. I have a used C3SA-18832-A with the same markings you describe that I believe came from a 65 Mustang. It's actually a T-Bird part number, used on 63-65 birds, but was also apparently used on 64.5-65 Mustangs. The one on my late March 66 San Jose built car is a C6OA-18832-A FoMoCo but can't be sure if it is original. I also have a NOS C6OA-18832-A Autolite like you describe. I've also seen one or two C5OA FoMoCo's on ebay but they seem very rare. The C3SA and both C6OA's I have are physically identical.

Does anyone have any info on the production windows for these different engineering numbers?

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!