HARDWARE NEEDED

• As an 'old' new guy to this forum, I'm going to ask the obvious - what year Mustang? And to verify what you are looking for, the two nuts that are attached from the engine compartment?

Jim

• I'm not sure what is ment by the AMK bulk section, but the exact locking nut is not listed. AMK has a grade 5 5/16-24 nut that is thicker than the grade 2 required. I don't know if that makes a difference. Be advised that the installation requires two flat 5/16 ID washers, 11/16 OD. All are clear zinc plated then covered by a medium-light layer of under-coating.

Jim

• AMK makes and sells restoration hardware for many classic cars. I would,however,like the original nuts and washers in this case. Anybody? Thanks, Ed

• <div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
    They sell the correct nuts and washers, you just need the bulk part numbers. Nut shown below. Washers are B12998. Image courtesy of AMK web site.

[Blocked Image: http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/728/nutdq0.jpg]

Edited by - round2K on 07/09/2007 19:45:27

Hi Dave..Went to the bulk section but I had no idea which nuts/washers were correct for my application. How did you determine the correct ones? Thanks for the info. I am good to go! ET
    </div>

• It helps if you have the Osborn Assembly manuals; they list the fastener part numbers. Then you cross reference against the AMK Ford Fastener guide and it will tell you what the fastener was and list the finish code. Then you go to AMK's current catalog and see if they list the part number as an available item. If not, it's no longer reproduced by AMK. Then you're stuck and you go the wrecking yard, ask around, or go find NOS. Minimum order from AMK is something like $25, which is easy to do if you are chasing the correct fasteners. Be careful with some of the bolts as there were differences by assembly plant.

Edited by - round2K on 07/10/2007 06:33:34

• P/N 55692-S is a grade 5 nut and is 0.292-0.302in thick. A grade 2 nut, 0.258-0.273in thick, is required, P/N 55672-S, per Ford assembly documentation and is not in AMK's catalog.

It's a picky point and will fit, but that the reality of what AMK offers.

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!